Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Percy "The Talent" Crawford (from FightHype) interview with Naazim Richardson...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Percy "The Talent" Crawford (from FightHype) interview with Naazim Richardson...

New account of the illegal wraps and fight....

"Man, I saw that block fall out of them wraps and I wanted to punch Margarito's trainer in the mouth…It was bricked up gauze that had blood stains on it already and they had a piece of plaster over that. Man Perc, you let that **** get hard through the course of a fight and you've got trouble. Shane would have been sitting there like, 'How this motherf@#$er hitting harder in the 8th round and we're both tired,'" stated world-class trainer Naazim Richardson as he talked about the illegal handwraps he discovered on Antonio Margarito prior to Shane Mosley's dominant 9th round TKO victory. In this can't miss exclusive, you don't want to miss what he had to say about the entire incident as well as his thoughts on Mosley's performance and some recent derogatory comments made by Teddy Atlas.

PC: Man, if you're a profit, just let me know because I need to know my future.

NR: Man, (laughing) if I was a profit, I would be trying to figure out these Lotto numbers.

PC: The hell with boxing if you had those Lotto numbers, huh?

NR: Man, I'll be telling you I know where they hiding the money (laughing).

PC: Shane looked great man. Did everything go as planned in the ring?

NR: Yeah man. I had to calm Shane's little ass down a couple of times. Shane wanted to go at him early. Shane thought he was done around the 6th and I told him that we will get him, but I wanted him to keep banging that body because Margarito likes to come on late. I told Shane, "Keep hitting that body so when he presses the gas late, he will find out that the car is empty." That's what we did. We all know he could take a shot, but you had to take his legs from him and then you don't take those shots the same. Another thing is we couldn't let him throw all of those punches on the inside.

PC: I noticed you had Shane tie him up every time they got close to one another.

NR: Yeah, because ****, a 12-year-old can kick your ass if you letting them throw 144 punches a round. So we definitely wanted to nullify his punch output.

PC: You're a very popular dude right now.

NR: Yeah, somebody told me today, "You're gonna have every fighter over 40 calling you!" I want to keep it simple though Perc. I have to believe in the athlete to take him on. You're not going to see me take on 6 or 7 new guys just because. That's not my style.

PC: Respect! I respect that. Once again Brother Naazim, you caught a trainer trying to help his fighter out by illegally wrapping his hands. How did that go down?

NR: Man, I saw that block fall out of them wraps and I wanted to punch Margarito's trainer in the mouth.

PC: Oh, it fell out while they were wrapping it?

NR: No, it was already wrapped. They were about to put it on his hands. I felt that **** and said, "Damn, that feels hard as hell." They're going to try to tell me it feels okay. I said, "Well the **** don't feel okay to me." They had to take that off. This sport is dangerous enough without doing something like that. I know I didn't want him hitting my fighter upside the head with nothing like that on his hands.

PC: You said it was a block that fell out. Could you explain what it was in there?

NR: It was bricked up gauze that had blood stains on it already and they had a piece of plaster over that. Man Perc, you let that **** get hard through the course of a fight and you've got trouble. Shane would have been sitting there like, "How this mother****er hitting harder in the 8th round and we're both tired?"

PC: Not saying Margarito has done that before, but you look for things like that whereas other trainers might be in there shooting the **** with Margarito's guys.

NR: They would have been in there trying to get a job for his next fight. I'm not in there to talk, laugh or nothing like that. I wanted to see his hands get wrapped and that's how I found that block.

PC: Was the knockout a surprise to you?

NR: I told Shane we could knock him out, but I wanted him to let it come to him. I told him having that 120 on all 3 scorecards is just as good as a knockout. I wanted to grab the fans that were picking Shane and have them in disbelief that he did it so easy and I think we accomplished that.

PC: Do you plan on continuing to work with Shane?

NR: Yeah, me and him talked and he's wanted to go at Cotto. I told him to let everything unfold because Mayweather may come back and then that may shake everything up. I would like to see him get the Pacquiao/Hatton winner and then a fight with Mayweather if he wants to come back. It's so many things that could happen man. I just don't want him to jump the gun.

PC: Shane and Bernard were both able to turn back the clock on supposedly younger and stronger opponents…

NR: Yeah, Teddy Atlas went at me today.

PC: Did he?

NR: Yeah. They did a thing for me out here in Philadelphia and Teddy Atlas said, "Anybody could train Shane and Bernard to do those things and beat Pavlik and Margarito!" Teddy shouldn't feel threatened by me. I know one thing. I wasn't going to use Shane's kids or my cell phone or no **** like that to motivate Shane. I understand you have a commentating job and you have to say things, but I've never had a problem with Teddy before he said this ****. Every trainer could critique another trainer. We all have weaknesses, but I used to talk to Eddie Futch and those guys and respect them for who they are. I will never bad mouth anyone in this little fraternity that we have. I have not said anything bad about Jack Mosley; not one time. Jack did a hell of a job with Shane. Teddy shouldn't be threatened by me. Maybe because Bernard's in the booth now, he feels threatened that they may ask me to come take his spot ringside. I've never had a problem with him so I don't know why he would say that.

If I wanted to come back at him and critique his methods, and I never have critiqued Teddy Atlas, but this is a man that pulled a gun on a 16-year-old kid. I have never met a 16-year-old kid that I was scared of. People have to understand that wasn't the Mike Tyson that was knocking people the **** out; that was a 16-year-old kid. I'll pull a gun on the Tyson that was knocking Michael Spinks and those bulls out, but he was a kid when Teddy did that. If Mike wanted to, he probably could still get a lawsuit going for that. Mike can go tell them people he flips out every time he thinks about that and there goes your lawsuit. I'll tell any 16-year-old to come and try me; he was a kid. This is the same guy that had a fighter fighting George Foreman and George threw a left and then a right and your fighter was still there. George threw the left and I went to the kitchen and fixed a sandwich and came back and George was just throwing that right and Michael Moorer was still there.

PC: (Laughing) Yeah, I'm shocked Teddy would go there, but you said it in our pre-fight interview that Margarito wouldn't be known as a beast come Sunday.

NR: Didn't I tell you that! I knew someone was going to try and discredit him after Shane did his thing with him. ****, you can't discredit Angelo Dundee for having Muhammad Ali!

PC: Thanks for the good word Brother! I know you're doing your thing right now. Keep me posted.

NR: Definitely Perc. I'm going to keep in touch and let you know if some of these names come through who they are talking about. You got the number though; hit me up if you need me.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content4224.html
    Last edited by BIGPOPPAPUMP; 01-29-2009, 11:07 AM.

Originally posted by The C.E.O. View Post
    New account of the illegal wraps and fight....

"Man, I saw that block fall out of them wraps and I wanted to punch Margarito's trainer in the mouth…It was bricked up gauze that had blood stains on it already and they had a piece of plaster over that. Man Perc, you let that **** get hard through the course of a fight and you've got trouble. Shane would have been sitting there like, 'How this motherf@#$er hitting harder in the 8th round and we're both tired,'" stated world-class trainer Naazim Richardson as he talked about the illegal handwraps he discovered on Antonio Margarito prior to Shane Mosley's dominant 9th round TKO victory.

In this can't miss exclusive, you don't want to miss what he had to say about the entire incident as well as his thoughts on Mosley's performance and some recent derogatory comments made by Teddy Atlas.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content4224.html
    Article from the horse's mouth?

PRICELESS !!!

Comment

"Man, I saw that block fall out of them wraps and I wanted to punch Margarito's trainer in the mouth

Comment

Nicely done. Good read.

Comment

they spelt prophet 'profit' :P

nice read

Comment

Percy gets all the nice interviews...I look forward to them...

Comment

Thanks for the interview.

Comment

Ouch...tyhe blood stain thing could be trouble..unless it from sparring sessions or something like that...Unfortunatly I think its from somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Executioner View Post
                  Thanks for the interview.
                  No problem....it was important, and y'all needed to see it...

Comment

Excellent Thread!!

Green K for you!

Comment

Working...
                    X