No announcement yet.

Bob Arum/Top Rank have no leverage with HBO or Showtime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PKing View Post
    There are little to NO chances any of these networks would want to discuss anything with TR or GBP.
    They already did.

It happened last week with Matt Blank and Stephen Espinoza.

And that's with people from SHO, who Haymon has worked with the longest.

Other networks will probably do the same once these time buys wind down.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
      They already did.

It happened last week with Matt Blank and Stephen Espinoza.

And that's with people from SHO, who Haymon has worked with the longest.

Other networks will probably do the same once these time buys wind down.
      Ahahahahaha! You actually believe Showtime would do anything Haymon doesn't approve of?

How naive... seriously naive.

Comment

You actually believe Showtime would do anything Haymon doesn't approve of?
        No, we're just talking about whether networks would have discussions with Top Rank or Golden Boy.

SHO did and other networks would likely do the same.

Comment

One thing is for damn sure... no other network will allocate $20 million for boxing right off the bat outside of the PBC involved networks.
          Doubt Golden Boy or Top Rank probably would be asking for anything close to $20 million from a network.

Comment

Some of you guys would rather see Arum sink than watch Loma vs Walters? Brutal.

Comment

No, we're just talking about whether networks would have discussions with Top Rank or Golden Boy.

SHO did and other networks would likely do the same.
              We're talking about REAL, legitimate discussions... not the fake stuff taking place. Don't act dumb.

Comment

Hymen has screwed Showtime over pretty badly in the past 2 years. They will start to take on TR fights if Arum decides to go that route. Look at the Porter-Thurman fight....they put up the money for the event only to have to reschedule it.

Comment

ST has already taken some GBP fights haven't they?

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                    And they're the main barrier preventing Stevenson/Kovalev, Crawford/Garcia, GGG/Jacobs, etc.

Exclusive network deals kill fights. It's time for them to go. They are preventing the sport from evolving.
                    Yep, on Stevenson-Kovalev. I do not even like Stevenson, I think Kovalev gives that guy a beating. But it is well documented, I don't know why some fans ignore it. It's clear that HBO and Duva are not into doing business with Showtime/Haymon to make the Kov-Adonis fight. They want everything their way or no fight, Showtime has expressed interest in working together, Duva pulled out of purse bids in 2014. I mean it's all there in everyone's face but they ignore who is really preventing that fight. And i'm not part of the network rivalry among fans, I have both HBO (for Game of Thrones) and Showtime.

Comment

You're not going to wait to see how successful the PBC is before criticizing everybody who didn't try to create their own?
                      I don't want to wait to see how successful PBC is before I'm onboard. There's 50+ years of evidence of boxing under Arum and his ilk; their companies need to crumble and PBC will be the catalyst.

The PBC model is the route boxing should move in to thrive. For the sport to reach its peak in competition/popularity there can't be multiple providers (NFL/USFL, NBA/ABA, MLB/Negro Leagues, UFC/Pride/Strikeforce). For the professional sports league model to work it has to have a monopoly of top talent in the respective sport and PBC is making its move.

As evidenced by the diminishing HBO budget/dates, the failed Tru TV deal, and the series GBP has on FS2, Top Rank and GBP haven't adjusted and it's getting late. Instead of investing in the sport by getting a time buy or forming a BoxNation-like platform themselves, Arum and co. are looking for another host to leech off of.

PBC has obstacles it has to maneuver around like the Ali Act (ironic that the Act implemented to curb the abusive practices of Arum, King, Duva, etc. are the ones they're trying to use to stop PBC) and litigation revolving around this move, but once Top Rank and GBP lose there lawsuits (and they will lose) and HBO bows out of boxing, they will crumble (merger/buyout/bankruptcy).

Comment

Working...
                      X