Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pacquiao announced he is retiring, will his final fight do more PPVs than Mayweather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Pacquaio can do 350,000 buys with Algieri in Macau why wouldn't he be able to do at least 400K vs. Crawford in the U.S.? Pac/Algieri was considered a non-competitive fight going in and was not well promoted in the States, due in part to the fight taking place in Macau.

Pacquiao vs. Rios was a somewhat similar situation (though Rios is a bit more well-known and was thought to have a slightly better chance) and that fight sold around 500K.

Here, Pacquiao is fighting a legit pound-for-pound guy who has a very real chance to beat him. Fight is being advertised as Pac's last fight and will likely take place in the U.S. (so will involve promotional tours and likely be more heavily promoted). If Pac/Bradley II just last year could do around 800,000 buys this fight could conceivably approach those figures and at minimum sell more than the 400K buys Floyd/Berto got.

The disappointment with the May/Pac PPV will affect PPV buys to some extent and I think Pac lost credibility postfight even from some who supported him with the injury claims and this "saltwater" nonsense but bottom line I'd expect Pac/Crawford - assuming the promotion is decent - to sell a bit better than Mayweather/Berto...

Comment

If he fights a top opponent like Crawford or Postol and not a bum like Berto, then Manny's PPV will surpass Mayweather's retirement fight.

Comment

Crawford, Khan, Marquez, Bradley etc do better numbers with Manny than Mayweather-Berto.

If Pac picks someone like Matthysse, it'll do 400ish.

Comment

ppv does not matter anymore remember

Comment

Originally posted by Jc8804 View Post
            How?? Being honest here.

I think black boxing fans who supported floyd will tune in and hope pac gets beat up and stopped (Which I think will happen)

Hardcore fans will tune in. And Manny's fans hardcore and casual will tune in to see Manny's last hurrah. You know Bob will promote it that way.

I see 800k minimum and expect a great undercard of rios vs provodnikov and
            Jesse heart stepping up a bit.
            I don't agree with that (I do think that Crawford wins). I think that, although most people blame Mayweather for what happened in that fight, that you won't see Pacquiao go away from that fight unscathed. He had fans full-on sue him in court for his performance and I think you'll see evidence of that like you saw in Mayweather's fight. Crawford is a MUCH better opponent than Berto, but amongst casual fans I don't think he has a bigger name.

Comment

I think it'll depend on the fight. Floyd chose an awful opponent and nobody bought it. If Pacquaio fights someone good and high profile then I think he'll get more. If he cherry picks a clown then he'll get less.

Comment

The only ppv I see doing good numbers is Canelo vs Cotto, because latino boxing fans will turnout for that.

Comment

Khan, Crawford, Marquez, Bradley if he beats Rios, Brook, Thurman/Porter winner, Garcia all easily do more than May-Berto. Heck, even Postol or Imam would do better.

The first three on that list should do 1mil PPV buys.

But he won't do more if he fights someone like Matthysse.
                  Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 10-28-2015, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X