Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come nobody ever puts lennox lewis on their top 10 heavyweights of all time lists

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

most lists i seen have him in top 5

Comment

Lennox was a very good boxer but he didnt bring alot of excitment to his fights, I liked watching him but he didnt put alot of people in their seats...

Comment

When a guy like George foreman who fought in 4 decades says he's the BEST ever you have to consider it.he said he ducked him in his later years & would have ducked him in his prime...everyone has their opinions & mine is he's a top 5.

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
          When a guy like George foreman who fought in 4 decades says he's the BEST ever you have to consider it.he said he ducked him in his later years & would have ducked him in his prime...everyone has their opinions & mine is he's a top 5.
          U think George would of ducked Lennox in his prime...................... I hope you mean after the Ali fight, matter of fact not even George was a beast in his prime and considered one of the hardest hitting men in that era...

Comment

Originally posted by P4P Opinion View Post
            Pure conjecture. Not a good start to your list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0eins2DhSo

Tony Tucker and Frank Bruno, both alphabet belt holders at one time or another. I'm not sure what you consider C class fighters to be. I'm not sure who he should have been fighting here. Anyway, this is just your personal spin on the period.

Tucker was way past his best and a crack-cocaine addict, Bruno had been knocked out 3 times with two of the 3 being knocked unconscious.. so certainly not Class A fighters

I'll correct this for you: Lewis gets TKO'd in controversial fashion after the referee refuses to allow him to continue despite the fight being a championship bout and Lewis beating the count comfortably.

Lewis got poleaxed.. i was at the fight and McCall silenced 14,000 fans with one big punch.. many at ringside was shouting "Stop it" as Lewis fell into referee`s arms.. the fight was rightly stopped and as Lewis left the ring 10 minutes after being stopped he had to be helped down the ring steps by his handlers, his eyes was still glassy, he was out of it....

Give me a source. I'm not saying you're wrong here, but I want some proof.

its been proven many times on this forum..

Again, give me a source. As I understand it, Tyson wanted nothing to do with Lewis at the time and Lewis couldn't get the fight.

Lewis "DID NOT" have to accept the step-a-side money.. he could have easily said `no-thanks` and took a gauranteed world title shot and career highest purse.. he accepted because being No1 contender he did not fancy his chances against that version of Mike Tyson and waited 6yrs more and several more prison sentences for Mike Tyson to completely self-destruct before fighting him.

Hardly the fault of Lewis. It's up to McCall what shape he enters the bout in.

Lewis should have been going after the big fish of the heavyweight division, Bowe, Tyson, Moorer, Mercer, Witherspoon, Sanders, Holyfield, Foreman instead of fighting a guy he knew was in a drug-rehab.

...and your problem with this is? Briggs has to be one of the weakest linear champions of all-time, but he was still the champ.

yes Briggs was one of the weakest title holders in history a class c fighter.

Who on Earth scored the second fight for Holyfield? You simply don't know how to score a fight if you thought Holyfield won that fight. It was closer than the first fight, but still a clear Lewis victory. Holyfield was probably past his best, but he was still World-class opposition.

43 of 48 ringside journalists scored the fight for Holyfield.

Oh ****! He didn't fight John Ruiz! Take him out of the top fifty! Michael Grant was hyped as the next big American heavyweight and it isn't the fault of Lewis if he didn't match the hype. I'd hardly call David Tua C-class either.

Lewis fans like to claim Riddick Bowe ducked him but wont accept Lewis was stripped of his belts for refusing to fight the No1 contenders... Michael Grant was floored twice in the opening round against Golota and behind on the cards when Golota suddenly quit... Grant was well exposed as `Nothing-Special`... David Tua was the fattest man in history to fight for the title..

Fair enough. If you ask me, this is the stain on his career. Lewis should have never lost to Rahman. I give him credit for taking care of business in the rematch however.

The manner in which Lewis lost puts a huge "Black-Mark" against his standing in historical terms... The referee could have counted to 100 and Lewis would not have beaten the count... Hasim Rahman had never before or never since been able to KO and opponent in the manner in which he poleaxed Lewis.. so it has to be said that Lewis does not have the greatest punch resistance.

Can you blame Lewis for going after a career high payday and a fight against Mike Tyson instead of a nobody contender? Lewis had wanted a fight with Tyson for years. This version of Tyson was indeed a shell of the former champion, but still better than 90% of the rest of the division.

Tyson was more than a decade past his best having been brutally KOd by Buster Douglas 12yrs earlier and KOd by Holyfield 6yrs earlier.. Tyson had served several prison sentences and on fight night was heavily sedated with anti-depressants...Tyson was KOd by both Danny Williams & Kevin McBride and was a shot fighter.... Lewis was stripped for refusing to fight Chris Byrd claiming Byrd `posed no threat` yet Byrd beat Holyfield and Tua far easier than Lewis had..

Oh Lewis was certainly fortunate that Klitschko was cut because it was a close fight, but anyone claiming that he was definately going to lose is talking crap. Lewis was down by a round or two at most, but had won the last two rounds before the bout was stopped. I would have liked to have seen a rematch, but Lewis did the smart thing and called it a day, realising that he had just passed his expiration date.

Lewis is in any credible top ten heavyweight list.
            Klitschko would have beaten Lewis.... All Time list Lewis is No14

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              So I see you aren't prepared to defend your claims. Fair enough I suppose, a lot of what you said was pure spin or conjecture.

Comment

If he was a fat Yank, he'd be up there with Ali & Joe.

Comment

lewis is overated as a heavyweight. Prime Tyson would have knocked him out cold, hense why he ducked him for years. Lewis was very smart and picked his big fights when he felt they were shadow of themselves.

Comment

So I see you aren't prepared to defend your claims. Fair enough I suppose, a lot of what you said was pure spin or conjecture.
                    i have defended them if you check

Comment

Tucker was way past his best and a crack-cocaine addict, Bruno had been knocked out 3 times with two of the 3 being knocked unconscious.. so certainly not Class A fighters

Lewis got poleaxed.. i was at the fight and McCall silenced 14,000 fans with one big punch.. many at ringside was shouting "Stop it" as Lewis fell into referee`s arms.. the fight was rightly stopped and as Lewis left the ring 10 minutes after being stopped he had to be helped down the ring steps by his handlers, his eyes was still glassy, he was out of it....

its been proven many times on this forum..

Lewis "DID NOT" have to accept the step-a-side money.. he could have easily said `no-thanks` and took a gauranteed world title shot and career highest purse.. he accepted because being No1 contender he did not fancy his chances against that version of Mike Tyson and waited 6yrs more and several more prison sentences for Mike Tyson to completely self-destruct before fighting him.

Lewis should have been going after the big fish of the heavyweight division, Bowe, Tyson, Moorer, Mercer, Witherspoon, Sanders, Holyfield, Foreman instead of fighting a guy he knew was in a drug-rehab.

yes Briggs was one of the weakest title holders in history a class c fighter.

43 of 48 ringside journalists scored the fight for Holyfield.

Lewis fans like to claim Riddick Bowe ducked him but wont accept Lewis was stripped of his belts for refusing to fight the No1 contenders... Michael Grant was floored twice in the opening round against Golota and behind on the cards when Golota suddenly quit... Grant was well exposed as `Nothing-Special`... David Tua was the fattest man in history to fight for the title..

The manner in which Lewis lost puts a huge "Black-Mark" against his standing in historical terms... The referee could have counted to 100 and Lewis would not have beaten the count... Hasim Rahman had never before or never since been able to KO and opponent in the manner in which he poleaxed Lewis.. so it has to be said that Lewis does not have the greatest punch resistance.

Tyson was more than a decade past his best having been brutally KOd by Buster Douglas 12yrs earlier and KOd by Holyfield 6yrs earlier.. Tyson had served several prison sentences and on fight night was heavily sedated with anti-depressants...Tyson was KOd by both Danny Williams & Kevin McBride and was a shot fighter.... Lewis was stripped for refusing to fight Chris Byrd claiming Byrd `posed no threat` yet Byrd beat Holyfield and Tua far easier than Lewis had..

Comment

Working...
                      X