No announcement yet.

ATG's fight purses compared to today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KO'er View Post
    It is interesting that the new records in highest purses are being claimed by Mayweather, who is a welterweight.

The heavyweights set all the highest purses up to now.

Apart form the name Klitschko the division really doesn't have much talent and the top guys are rarely fighting one another.

Comment

in fairness to wlad though he's bringing in big money in his fight this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
        It was actually Tunney, who got that million dollar check.

His cut in the 2nd Dempsey fight came to $990.000 - so he gave Tex Rickard $10.000 in exchange for a one million dollar check.

The first boxer to get a full million dollar purse was Sonny Liston - in the 2nd Patterson fight.
        Thanks for clarifying my friend. I am not surprised that YOU knew the exact story.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          Thanks for clarifying my friend. I am not surprised that YOU knew the exact story.
          Thanks, Bat... as always, you are most kind!

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            Dempsey had the first million dollar purse. I think it was for Carpentier, but I'm not sure.

Anyway that would translate into some 14M today according to the link.

a mill in the 20's would make you crazy wealthy.

hell, a decade later, in the 30's, the average man had serious trouble feeding his family and finding entry level work.

dempsey's purses would seem like an insurmountable sum of money to a 20's era american. mayweather makes more money than 14 million a year, but so do so many other athletes. dempsey (and the other top HW,) were the only guys in the million dollar purse stratosphere. it's hard to compare his wages to the wages of current athletes, because the pay for great athletes has been so inflated.

there are hundreds of baseball players in the state who make 14 mill a year, for example. the yankees have a 150-200 million payroll every year.

Comment

Yeah and I thought it was strange when I heard on the radio this year that the Yankees wanted to get their payroll below 189 mil. Trying to save money, I guess. Different times for them indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                Yeah and I thought it was strange when I heard on the radio this year that the Yankees wanted to get their payroll below 189 mil. Trying to save money, I guess. Different times for them indeed.

they pay a rod an amount that equals payroll of the entire houston astros

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  they pay a rod an amount that equals payroll of the entire houston astros
                  Friggin Yankees make me sick! Of course this coming from a Red Sox fan so....

Comment

Working...
                  X