Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    Joe Louis vs Max Schmeling
    Bassillo vs Sugarman
    Fullmer vs Sugarman
    Turpin vs Sugarman
    Pep vs Sadler
    Charles vs Walcott
    Tunney vs Dempsey
    just a few..................one of the best match ups ever was Holmes vs Norton, tremendous battle! Ray Corso
    How can Sugar be in prime for those fights when he was a whole weight class above his optimum weight?

Saddler matches for Pep were after the plane crash.

Charles was at HW for Walcott, again not prime.

Dempsey was definitely past it for both Tunney matches.

Comment

Ali vs Chuvalo 1 is as prime as he get's IMO. Decent opponent, Ali is experienced, and hasn't lost anything from the layoff. He can still move on his feet when he needs to, has amazing accuracy and hand speed.

I definitely recant my original statement. That was NOT a prime Ali in Frazier 1, but it was a good version.
      Last edited by them_apples; 02-10-2012, 08:45 PM.

Comment

couldnt agree more on leonard hearns

Comment

SRL and Hagler?? i dont think so..

Hearns-SRL

Morales-Barerra

Jones-Toney - although Toney had weight issues

Mayweather-Corrales

Oscar-Trinidad

Mosley-Oscar

but then some of the guys I listed aren't atg's

Comment

Bassillo vs Sugarman
            Fullmer vs Sugarman
            Turpin vs Sugarman
            Pep vs Sadler
            Charles vs Walcott
            Tunney vs Dempsey
            just a few..................one of the best match ups ever was Holmes vs Norton, tremendous battle! Ray Corso
            Dempsey wasn't prime vs Tunney, and Max schmeling was never an ATG.

Comment

Bassillo vs Sugarman
              Fullmer vs Sugarman
              Turpin vs Sugarman
              Pep vs Sadler
              Charles vs Walcott
              Tunney vs Dempsey

Great battles mate, but I wouldn't have said Sugar was prime for those matches. Likewise with Charles and Dempsey.

Superb well matched fights though......and yes Holmes vs Norton was superb.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                Ali vs Chuvalo 1 is as prime as he get's IMO. Decent opponent, Ali is experienced, and hasn't lost anything from the layoff. He can still move on his feet when he needs to, has amazing accuracy and hand speed.

I definitely recant my original statement. That was NOT a prime Ali in Frazier 1, but it was a good version.

Ali vs Chuvalo 1 was before the layoff matey. True that it was a great version of Ali though.

Comment

How about Dick Tiger- Joey Giradello?

Does that fit the descritpion?

Comment

I'm starting to understand this "forum thing"! Someone makes a comment then others want to jump on it and rag or degrade or simply discredit!! Personally I think a Great fighter remains a great fighter till he stops. I understand prime meaning at his best but the great ones give their best no matter what age or era. Dempsey gave his all, that was great. Sugar against Turpin certainly wasn't Ray at his best or in his prime but his effort was incredable. You kids here need to get wins and loses out of your minds and understand that max efforts is what everyone wants to see at a fight. The better man that night wins but theres nothing wrong with a lose when everything is given to try to win. Being a fan is fine but trying to understand how a fighter has to live would serve some of you well.
                    ps Schmeling being held captive by hitler stopped his career and thats why some fans don't think of him as a great fighter. Just look at his tapes and you'll see a guy who is very sound at everything he does, he could punch hard also and his defeat over Louis "didn't" shock boxing people at that time. Is anyone in this discussion a fighter current or past? Ray

Comment

Winky wright vs Shane Mosley 1 and 2

Fernando Vargas vs Felix Trinidad

Kelly palvik vs jermain Taylor 1

Jose Luis castillo vs Diego corrales

Comment

Working...
                      X