Duilo Loi L/W
    Patrizio Oliva L/W
    Mario D'Agata
    Maurizio Stecca F/W
    Loris Stecca S/B
    Primo Carnera H/W
    Francisco Damiani H/W
    Nino La Rocca WW

Apart from La Rocca, who was a very classy fighter, they were all world champs, who besides Carnera all have 2 things very much in common..

1. They are/were all Italians who resided in Italy
    2. Very very few posters ever mention them

Is it because they are not Italian/American?
    Have any of the above ever fought one of there mixed race compatriots?
    Who's the greatest thoroughbred Italian? and is he greater than the best of the mixed race guys?

Fair amount of room for discussion here, but should any of the kindergarten posters stumble upon this thread, it has absolutely nothing to do with Joe Calzaghe or Enzo Maccarinelli..

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
    Gianfranco Rossi L/M
    Sandro Mazzinghi L/M
    Rocky Mattioli L/M
    Nino Benvenuti L/M and MW
    Vincenzo Nardielo S/M
    Mauro Galvano S/M
    Bruno Arcari L/W
    Duilo Loi L/W
    Patrizio Oliva L/W
    Mario D'Agata
    Maurizio Stecca F/W
    Loris Stecca S/B
    Primo Carnera H/W
    Francisco Damiani H/W
    Nino La Rocca WW

Apart from La Rocca, who was a very classy fighter, they were all world champs, who besides Carnera all have 2 things very much in common..

1. They are/were all Italians who resided in Italy
    2. Very very few posters ever mention them

Is it because they are not Italian/American?
    Have any of the above ever fought one of there mixed race compatriots?
    Who's the greatest thoroughbred Italian? and is he greater than the best of the mixed race guys?

Fair amount of room for discussion here, but should any of the kindergarten posters stumble upon this thread, it has absolutely nothing to do with Joe Calzaghe or Enzo Maccarinelli..
    You forgot Vincenzo Cantatore. He was a solid contender as a cruiserweight and lost a disputed decision to Johnny Nelson, dropping him once. His record is also solid, 33(27)-5-1. He was also stopped rather controversially by Braithwaite.

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
      You forgot Vincenzo Cantatore. He was a solid contender as a cruiserweight and lost a disputed decision to Johnny Nelson, dropping him once. His record is also solid, 33(27)-5-1. He was also stopped rather controversially by Braithwaite.
      Don't know a lot about Cantatore.. Only that he was Italian HW champ about 2 years ago.. Did he ever win a European title at CW or HW?

I forgot about Branco and Fragomeni to, but that's just my bias for the history of the sport coming into play..

Comment

i'm sicilian heritage and understand most norte a..hole itals don't consider
        sicilians italian but to me benvenuti for standing up againsy mohaamed ali
        Last edited by STEELHEAD; 10-25-2009, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by `STEELHEAD View Post
          i'm sicilian heritage and understand most norte a..hole itals don't consider
          sicilians italian but to me benvenuti for standing up againsy mohaamed ali
          I thought Stanley Unwin was dead..

Comment

Don't know a lot about Cantatore.. Only that he was Italian HW champ about 2 years ago.. Did he ever win a European title at CW or HW?

I forgot about Branco and Fragomeni to, but that's just my bias for the history of the sport coming into play..
            Yes, he was the European champ at CW. Twice. I also like Franecsco Damiani, he was one of the best Euro HWs of his era definitely. If not the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
              Yes, he was the European champ at CW. Twice. I also like Franecsco Damiani, he was one of the best Euro HWs of his era definitely. If not the best.
              Damiani was at times quite cruely underrated.. Apart from 2 broken noses by virtue of Mercer & McCall respectively, he had a fairly good career..
              Had a bit of a John McDermott physique, kind of pudgy and short armed.. Limitations I thought he made good use of.. His ring generalmanship was excellent, and so was his handspeed.. Thoroughly beat the hard punching Johnny Du Plooey in South Africa to win the WBO title, I think it was via 5th rnd KO.. Went on to lose it to Mercer (big left uppercut in the 9th).. I believe he lost only to McCall after that when Oliver was on the way up and Damiani was past prime..

Comment

Benvenuti and Loi I've seen discussed a bit: Not shocking as Loi is an ATG and Benvenuti is arguably one. The others don't quite rise that level and a fighter really has to rise to that level to get a lot of ink outside their own country.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  Benvenuti and Loi I've seen discussed a bit: Not shocking as Loi is an ATG and Benvenuti is arguably one. The others don't quite rise that level and a fighter really has to rise to that level to get a lot of ink outside their own country.

Poet
                  I've been anticipating when someone would identify Loi as the jewel in the crown.. Not surprised it was you Poet.. He really was a class act wasn't he?

Comment

I've been anticipating when someone would identify Loi as the jewel in the crown.. Not surprised it was you Poet.. He really was a class act wasn't he?
                    Terrific fighter, absolutely! Ranks with guys like Whitaker as far as having all-time best defense

Poet

Comment

Working...
                    X