Devon Alexander Interested In Facing Berto-Ortiz II Winner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devon Alexander Interested In Facing Berto-Ortiz II Winner

http://www.e a s t sideboxing.com/news.php?p=30995&more=1

By James Slater - Fresh off his very impressive, dominant points win over the always-dangerous Marcos Maidana, welterweight contender Devon Alexander is looking for another big name for his next fight. Feeling stronger and more powerful at 147, and living up to his “The Great” nickname during the near shut-out points victory, the gifted southpaw put behind him his disappointing loss to Tim Bradley..

So who does Alexander, 23-1(13) want for his next fight? According to the man with all the news, Dan Rafael of ESPN.com, Team-Alexander are hoping to get either the winner of the upcoming Andre Berto-Victor Ortiz rematch or Mexican legend Erik Morales.

Kevin Cunningham, Alexander’s trainer and manager, told Rafael that the fight with “El Terrible,” if it happens, would take place at a catch-weight of 145-pounds, in July. It is the Ortiz-Berto rematch winner that Team-Alexander really seem to want, however.

“Devon has earned the right to face the Ortiz-Berto winner,” Cunningham said. “The winner of that fight is not getting Mayweather or Pacquiao, so why not?”

Why not indeed. 25-year-old Alexander is certainly deserving of a big, big fight now that he’s shown his mental strength and class against Maidana, and the Saint Louis man would have to be given a great shot against either Berto or “Vicious” Victor (for what it’s worth, I think Ortiz will defeat Berto for a second time). Alexander is right back in the mix already; a win over the welterweight title fight winner would possibly propel him into the P-4-P charts.

As for Morales; I’d be surprised if the ageing (yet still capable) 35-year-old took a fight with Alexander. At this stage of his great career, Morales needs to face guys who will stand and fight with him - not slick boxers who use a ton of movement like Alexander. If I had my way, I’d rematch Morales and Maidana, seeing how great and how close their first fight was.

It’s interesting what Cunningham said with regards to the winner of Berto and Ortiz not getting a shot at Mayweather or Pacquiao. Alexander himself, had he won that fight against Bradley, might have been in the exact same spot “Desert Storm” is currently in: with a life-changing payday of a fight with Pac-Man just weeks away.

But at age 25, Alexander still has enough time to be able to make the really big bucks!

Id be really interested in that fight better then Devon calling out the May or Pac after their fights.Devon like Vic seems to have really thrived with the 7 extra pounds

Comment

Originally posted by any craic lad? View Post
      Id be really interested in that fight better then Devon calling out the May or Pac after their fights.Devon like Vic seems to have really thrived with the 7 extra pounds
      Me too. I see Alexander beating them both.

Comment

Alexander fighting against the loser of Berto v Ortiz, sounds good. With the winner having a crack at Bradley.

Comment

Originally posted by any craic lad? View Post
          It did him good, but I still can't see him beating Ortiz or Berto as much as I'd like to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
            Me too. I see Alexander beating them both.
            You like Devon Alexander don't you?

I thought you said you're not an American?

But you don't care what a fighters nationality is, do you? Only ONE THING matters to you about a fighter, and it's so obvious I don't even need to say what that is.

Comment

Working...
            X