Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gegard Mousasi vs. Renato "Babalu" Sobral moved from Affliction to Strikeforce "Caran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gegard Mousasi vs. Renato "Babalu" Sobral moved from Affliction to Strikeforce "Caran

Gegard Mousasi vs. Renato "Babalu" Sobral moved from Affliction to Strikeforce "Carano vs. Cyborg"

"Babalu's" fight with Mousasi is back on, this time with Strikeforce.

As soon as I got finished writing my last Affliction aftermath piece discussing the possible future destinations of some of the fighters displaced by the company's demise, I saw the news that the Gegard Mousasi vs. Renato Sobral fight is being added to the Strikeforce "Carano vs. Cyborg" card on August 15th.

You have to respect Strikeforce's resilient nature. At one point, the August 15th card featured four title fights (Carano/Cyborg for the women's 145-pound belt, Alistair Overeem vs. Brett Rogers for the heavyweight belt, Nick Diaz vs. Joe Riggs for the welterweight belt and Josh Thomson vs. Gilbert Melendez for the lightweight title) and looked like one of the best events of all time. Then Overeem withdrew, because he re-injured his hand. Joe Riggs pulled out of his title shot, because of a reaction to some medication he was taking. That left two title fights, which is still much better than your average card, but Strikeforce took the opportunity to bring its Light Heavyweight champion, Sobral, back in and up the ante in his fight with Mousasi by putting the belt on the line.

Mousasi and Sobral are both riding win streaks and I've already stated that their fight was the one I was most disappointed to be missing when Affliction canceled their event. Now I'm a happy chappy once again, thanks to Strikeforce. If they can actually sign someone like Jay Hieron to fight Diaz for the welterweight title, that will bring them back to four title fights on the same night and, as hard as this is to imagine, make it an even better card than it had been before.

Nice, this is a good fight.

Comment

Working...
    X