No announcement yet.

Florida jury awards $23.6 billion to widow in smoking lawsuit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't be right,, horrible judgement..

The dude didn't know smoking was bad for you... I'm pretty sure it's common knowledge since at least 50s and 60s

Comment

this must be a joke, she cant be getting all that noway

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
        She'll be in retrials and appeals until her dying day BUT, there is a very real chance she settles out of court. Could she get a bil out of court?
        Zero chance. This is not a difficult dispute. I already told you that this was an unconstitutional award of punitive damages. RJ Reynolds will not settle anywhere north of 16 million dollars with an M.

Likely outcome is that cigarette company will refuse to settle, widow will want to just accept the compensatory damages. Cigarette company will appeal this and take their time. They have a no settlement policy to disuade people (and their attorneys) from bringing these suits. Remember the attorney wont get paid until the client does and Big Tobacco will put that off for a very long time. Most firms need the money and can't risk these types of cases.

Best case scenario for widow is she will get around 60 million / 50% (contingency fees) that will be taxed heavily years down the line. Big Tobacco could care less about their attorney's fees racking up because this isnt about her case its about sending a message to all the wouldbe attorneys that think of suing them. I'll dumb it down, she will get a couple million dollars in a few years. Will never imagine billions.

Entire judgment could EASILY be reversed on appeal with instructions to dismiss. The appellate judges are not nearly as unknowledgable of the law or sympathetic as juries. If there is no legitimate case they will call it for what it is. This would mean the firm that represented widow will eat millions in costs and she will get nothing. They will want to settle and atleast now they have somewhat of a bargaining chip but not nearly as big as anyone here thinks.
        Last edited by Hous; 07-20-2014, 10:18 PM.

Comment

I can see a couple million in her future but billion ? Wtf?

Comment

shut yo face!!! 23.6Billion bones?

someone get me the number to her lawyer, I got my dick caught on my zipper back in 95' and the jeans didn't come with a warning on it, I could easily get some money out of this.

Comment

Working...
            X