No announcement yet.

Vasily Jirov

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vasily Jirov

Where and why do you rank Jirov on an all an all time cruiserweight list? This guy was one of my all time favorite fighters, tough as nails and a comitted body puncher.

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Where and why do you rank Jirov on an all an all time cruiserweight list? This guy was one of my all time favorite fighters, tough as nails and a comitted body puncher.
    I'd go top ten if I ever got around to re-doing the Jr. classes without the often awkward formula I tried out last time. He wasn't as good as Gomez in his own time but given the classes limited history, nice account. Also the last good win for Moorer at Heavyweight (that's a lost classic)

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
      I'd go top ten if I ever got around to re-doing the Jr. classes without the often awkward formula I tried out last time. He wasn't as good as Gomez in his own time but given the classes limited history, nice account. Also the last good win for Moorer at Heavyweight (that's a lost classic)
      I would have loved a Gomez-Jirov unification. I agree Gomez was more talented, but I loved Jirov's tenacity and think it would have been a great fight.
      Last edited by JAB5239; 02-25-2012, 05:00 PM.

Comment

He won the Val Barker Trophy for outstanding Boxer and Olympic gold in '96, but he just couldnt carry his weight to the pro ranks like a lot of great amateurs.

Top 20 at cruiserweight, some could argue top 10 for overall talent.

Comment

Yeah he's gotta be top 10. But it's not like there's many ATG cruiser weights in the first place.

Comment

He was entertaining and definitely the best body puncher the divison has known. I was at his last fight and it seems like the Toney fight ruined him. But as it was said, the cruiserweight division historically is shallow and Jirov probably made the top ten all time.

Comment

heard his fight against toney was one to watch and his other fights earlier were something as well might check them out, i reckon he is a top ranked in the CW division considering the fact about his accomplishments in the ring, reign as champion and defences but the division aint exactly highly rated or looked on upon im afraid unlike the HW or LHW divisions with their history

Comment

Can people offer their opinions on his best fights to watch?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dem Eyes View Post
                  Can people offer their opinions on his best fights to watch?

Thanks.
                  Definitely start off with James Toney and Michael Moorer.Then I would watch some his lesser known bouts with Jorge Fernando Castro and Joe Mesi, and his amateur fight with Tarver.

Comment

Outstanding cruiserweight. Some people tend to forget about his great run at cruiserweight because of his attempt at heavyweight that didn't go well.

A top 10 lock at cruiser.

Comment

Working...
                    X