No announcement yet.

Ward's Style. . . Love it or Hate it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ward's Style. . . Love it or Hate it?

Ok, I'm not gonna bother with a poll, lets just slash it out.

This topic got me thinking, from the "is ward the most overated blah blah"

but someone did mention that his style is ugly to watch . . . I haven't had the chance to watch many of his fights, only the ones on YT, But I find him fascinating to watch, he's quick, gets his opponents into situations where they don't feel comfortable, claims center of the ring, and as mentioned in the froch fight aswell, he's a come forward counter puncher, that forces opponents to jab atleast, to try n keep him off, so he's constantly pressing the action, Not to mention he's full of sneaky veteran tricks. You can make cases for not liking Floyd, Pac n some other fighters, but to me, Ward is the most complete boxer 'active' lol today. . . The only thing he lacks I think is that devastating once punch KO, but I don't mind that, I think he makes up for that in all the other aspects I've pointed out. . .

I saw comment on YT which said something about the reason he is inactive is because he tried to leave his promoter early or something, n filed a law suite against him, and as a result his promoter hasn't been finding him fights. I sure do hope this issue gets resolved soon because he's at his peak age now.

It's all right, but casuals don't like it.

Comment

I like Ward. He's not one of my favorites to watch, but I respect his talent a ton. I just hope he gets in the ring some time this damn decade.

Comment

Horrific style to watch and it shows in his ratings. Maybe if he toned down the illegal tactics he uses so often it might help. And if he reduced his clinching.

Comment

I can appreciate guys who moves around the ring like Rigo and Lara but the clinching after almost ever exchange is boring. WTds fights aren't pretty to watch at all. Doesn't mean he's not good but he's not entertaining.

Comment

He's brilliant in spots and then he starts clinching, headbutting and clinching again.

If there's one style/tactic of boxing I can't stand it's fighters who excessively clinch. Other than that he's definitely one of the most technically sound boxers today. I'd put him at 3 behind Floyd and Rigo as far as skills are concerned.

Comment

lets put it this way he hasnt fought this year and no one really cares and hes most likely not gonna fight the rest of the year and no one cares. Only time people talk about him is when BIGPOPPAPUMP post a thread about him being jealous of Carl Froch lol.
              Last edited by MaskedMurderer; 05-26-2014, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedMurderer View Post
                lets put it this way he hasnt fought this year and no one really cares and hes most likely not gonna fight the rest of the year and no one cares. Only time people talk about him is when BIGPOPPAPUMP post a thread about him being jealous of Carl Froch lol.
                Haha good post.

I respect Ward as a person and he is really skilled but i find his fights boring cause there is no excitement. You know he is gonna win by UD.

Comment

Ward puts me to sleep.

This is coming from a guy who enjoy Rigo Floyd and Lara too (I like making fun of Floyd doe)

Comment

I love watching Andre Ward fight. He's truly an amazing fighter. Considering Pacquiao's decline, there are three fighters who have separated themselves from the rest: Floyd, Rigondeaux and Ward.

Is he boring? I don't know, there was a lot of " Hoooo!!! Haaaa!! " in his last fight. The crowd was entertained, yet some people claimed they almost fell asleep, that is was an awful fight, etc. I enjoyed his last fight, his schooling (or should I say humiliation) of Froch, and his fights against Miranda, Kessler and Dawson (who was drained though).

Ward never gets a fair shake. I don't know why, but he seems to rub people the wrong way. I can't wait to see him back in the ring.
                    Last edited by Loque-san; 05-26-2014, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X