Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it wrong to laugh at racist flicks from the 1900s?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it wrong to laugh at racist flicks from the 1900s?

Got this bull**** american history film class and we have to read and watch some really racist flicks. I'm sorry but some of the names that these guys called their movies crack me up. We were watching "A Birth of a Nation", and it obviously had a pro South view to it because it showed the slaves happy, dancing, and what not but the way the portrayed them was pretty funny. The person sitting next to me was just shaking their head.

Shooting Craps(1900)
    Prizefight in Coontown(1902)
    Who Said Watermelon?(1902)
    Dancing Darkies

there was a movie called burning something i 4got wat it was called, it was about some guys got killed cuz they stood up 4 black and it was the sheriffs that killed them, i saw it in high school my sophmore year, i lold at the names they called each other...old movie as well but it wasnt black and white.

Comment

Originally posted by dj emz View Post
      there was a movie called burning something i 4got wat it was called, it was about some guys got killed cuz they stood up 4 black and it was the sheriffs that killed them, i saw it in high school my sophmore year, i lold at the names they called each other...old movie as well but it wasnt black and white.
      Reminds me a little bit of A Time to Kill. That was a great movie though. These ****ty 1900 movies crack me up because they are so over the top. I know it is supposed to be sad that less than 100 years ago this was happening but I also have to look at it as the creators were trying to make a funny movie, so I think it is somewhat acceptable to chuckle at it.

Comment

i know wat u mean i giggle and **** and all the black kids in my class and teacher would get mad and call me a racist, imo those movies are typical comedys to me. they go overboard with the names and stuff like that, even some of the black kids would laugh time to time or they r just bi*ching about how they have gone through so much but in all reality they didnt go through anythin it was there great great grandparents who suffered.

Comment

If you find something funny then laugh. Never let anyone else affect your happiness.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
            Reminds me a little bit of A Time to Kill. That was a great movie though. These ****ty 1900 movies crack me up because they are so over the top. I know it is supposed to be sad that less than 100 years ago this was happening but I also have to look at it as the creators were trying to make a funny movie, so I think it is somewhat acceptable to chuckle at it.
            A Time To Kill. Two white rednecks rape and kill a little black girl. Reality is that the opposite is at least ten times more likely to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy boy View Post
              a time to kill. Two white rednecks rape and kill a little black girl. Reality is that the opposite is at least ten times more likely to happen.
              looooooool

Comment

No racist stuff is funny as **** back then, its just ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                X