Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Pavlik's Manager is Happy, Relieved His Fighter Retired

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Pavlik's Manager is Happy, Relieved His Fighter Retired

NEW YORK — Cameron Dunkin was relieved Saturday when Kelly Pavlik agreed to let everyone else know what he had told his manager last month.

“I was happy when he said he would retire because I knew how hard it was to get him to train,” Dunkin said during a fight card Saturday night in The Theater at Madison Square Garden. “He wasn’t motivated anymore. He has some money and he wants to do something else. He wants to spend some time with his family.”
    [Click Here To Read More]

Hats off to you Pavlik, only respect.

Comment

He accomplished a lot and is smart to get out if his heart's not in it.

Like the other guy said, nothing but respect.

Good luck Kelly.

Comment

he didnt deny returning in the future i got a feeling this wont be the last we see of the ghost

Comment

Good luck to "The Ghost" with what ever you decide to do, and thanks for the great fights!!

Comment

I thought he could have a few more money fights with the likes of Abraham or Bute etc. But if he doesn't want to train anymore then he is better off stepping away from the sport.
            Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 01-20-2013, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              I thought he could have a few more money fights with the likes of Abraham or Bute etc. But if he doesn't want to train anymore then he is better of stepping away from the sport.
              And....He can have a few more fights if he so pleases.

He really hung in there despite a lot of ****e to deal with, my heart goes out to him.

I have to say something stupid here so here it goes: I actually feel that as great as Ward is, Pavlik has a strong style that is a great match against Ward...Kelly is scrappy enough to hang inside (though like most modern boxers & unlike Ward kelly does not fight inside). Kelly also has decent enough pace and jab.....strong enough, it might have been a great scrap! But alas, an unmotivated "Ghost" against Ward? a virtual death sentence!

Comment

Surprised to hear Pavlik has retired. Definitely a few solid fights still out there for him at 168, but if he can't get up for them anymore, he's making a good decision. Best of luck to him.

Comment

He probably lost motivation because he couldn't get those big fights, not that he simply got too lazy to train anymore. All the big super middleweight names pretty much tied themselves for the first half of the year. Pavlik already took 4 straight low level fights so having to take another tuneup in the meantime would likely kill any motivation he had left. Leaving your family for two months to fight another Scott Sigmon would suck ass. Not worth it for someone who's used to fighting in the big stage.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    And....He can have a few more fights if he so pleases.

He really hung in there despite a lot of ****e to deal with, my heart goes out to him.

I have to say something stupid here so here it goes: I actually feel that as great as Ward is, Pavlik has a strong style that is a great match against Ward...Kelly is scrappy enough to hang inside (though like most modern boxers & unlike Ward kelly does not fight inside). Kelly also has decent enough pace and jab.....strong enough, it might have been a great scrap! But alas, an unmotivated "Ghost" against Ward? a virtual death sentence!
                    Kelly would have taken a sustained beating from ward and he knew it. Ward was too mobile and too good a boxer for kelly. One sided beating from ward was what kelly would have taken good that kelly is stepping away from the table

Comment

Working...
                    X