No announcement yet.

History today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    In retrospect it was, but it was fought at a lively pace and more than once it looked like Marquez could turn it around. The fifth round was one of the best of the year.
    5th round was awesome but I had Viloria up 4-0 at that point including a knockdown.

I thought Viloria might be fading in the 10th but then that left hook ended it.

Think the 9th was the only round I scored for Tyson.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      I thought it was a one sided fight for the most part.
      it was, but marquez was one left hook away from turning it around for most of the fight

great little scrap.

marquez might be the premier action fighter in the sport right now. it's too bad he's so small, or he'd be a huge star. huge.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
        it was, but marquez was one left hook away from turning it around for most of the fight

great little scrap.

marquez might be the premier action fighter in the sport right now. it's too bad he's so small, or he'd be a huge star. huge.
        Yeah, it wasn't a wipe out but Viloria won most of the rounds and outboxed him most of the time.

Comment

Broner looked incredible tonight.

cosign. that guy is damn good. i'm shocked at how much better he looks in each fight. unreal sharpness. he's a real technician, too. considering how few shots he takes, he'll only get better.

i'd like to see him at 135 for a while. demarco took his shots a lot better than the guys at 130 could. after he settles at 135 he can think about stepping up to 140 or even the right fighter at 147.

Comment

Yeah, it wasn't a wipe out but Viloria won most of the rounds and outboxed him most of the time.

agreed. marquez was eating clean shots. i'm not sure if i gave him a round. i was admittedly quite distracted by the commentary of larry holmes

Comment

cosign. that guy is damn good. i'm shocked at how much better he looks in each fight. unreal sharpness. he's a real technician, too. considering how few shots he takes, he'll only get better.

i'd like to see him at 135 for a while. demarco took his shots a lot better than the guys at 130 could. after he settles at 135 he can think about stepping up to 140 or even the right fighter at 147.
              Yeah, he looked very sharp.

His speed and timing looked very good.

I'm still not sold on him though, until I see him pushed against a top fighter. I still don't know how good his ring IQ is and ability to adapt. He had Ponce backing up and couldn't seem to do anything. He seems to be improving though, he had glimpses in that fight where he was phenominal, it seems he's starting to turn those glimpses into full fights.

Still, his competition has been lack luster for the most part, his 130 run was a joke but DeMarco is a good start.

I'm not so sure how good his defense is, he got tagged a little by DeMarco. Only a little though.

I think he has a lot of potential, he definitely has the physcial tools. I'm yet to see his mental side of the game though.

I like him though.

Comment

Yeah, he looked very sharp.

His speed and timing looked very good.

I'm still not sold on him though, until I see him pushed against a top fighter. I still don't know how good his ring IQ is and ability to adapt. He had Ponce backing up and couldn't seem to do anything. He seems to be improving though, he had glimpses in that fight where he was phenominal, it seems he's starting to turn those glimpses into full fights.

Still, his competition has been lack luster for the most part, his 130 run was a joke but DeMarco is a good start.

I'm not so sure how good his defense is, he got tagged a little by DeMarco. Only a little though.

I think he has a lot of potential, he definitely has the physcial tools. I'm yet to see his mental side of the game though.

I like him though.
                the ponce fight was a bit of an eye opener, but looking back on it i do feel like he made some of the adjustments. ponce stopped connecting after the first few rounds. sh#t fight at the time i think he was only a young 22 or perhaps even 21.

demarco only popped him with a few shots of consequence, but i thought broner took them well, for whatever that's worth.

as you alluded to, he's shown spots of brilliance in his last few fights, and they're starting to become more frequent. when he really starts to smoke he's something else.

obviously we'll need to see him pressed and in deep before we've got a full evaluation of him. somebody's going to need to start landing punches on him consistently for that, though. i dont think they'll match him at 140 right away, but that's where a lot of the big fights are. 140 and 147.

Comment

the ponce fight was a bit of an eye opener, but looking back on it i do feel like he made some of the adjustments. ponce stopped connecting after the first few rounds. sh#t fight at the time i think he was only a young 22 or perhaps even 21.

demarco only popped him with a few shots of consequence, but i thought broner took them well, for whatever that's worth.

as you alluded to, he's shown spots of brilliance in his last few fights, and they're starting to become more frequent. when he really starts to smoke he's something else.

obviously we'll need to see him pressed and in deep before we've got a full evaluation of him. somebody's going to need to start landing punches on him consistently for that, though. i dont think they'll match him at 140 right away, but that's where a lot of the big fights are. 140 and 147.
                  His chin seems good. He has good defense but it's not great, he get's tagged. But when he does, he seems to take it well so that always a good sign.

He seems to have definitely improved since the Ponce fight. In round 5 he was amazing in that fight. If every round was like that he'd have got him out of there.

I think the next fight will be Ricky Burns. I hope it is.

I think Burns will be a tough test for him.

Comment

agreed. marquez was eating clean shots. i'm not sure if i gave him a round. i was admittedly quite distracted by the commentary of larry holmes

Holmes was shockingly bad on commentary, rambling constantly. Having him work on very small weight classes probably wasn't a great decision.

Comment

• Anybody see Gonzales vs Estrada on Saturday?

Comment

Working...
                      X