Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kronk Gym CLOSED!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why isn't it realistic to be a functioning gym anymore? Because the funds that are needed are alot of money from year to year! Grant money is not enough and the time thats needed to be donated is not an easy task anymore! A boxing gym needs to be opened 6 days a week and it needs to be maintained too! Insurances alone can be a huge problem, today you need a major corperation to back such a place. I remember my first few years pay as head trainer at my gym in Hamden Ct. was 2,300.00................a YEAR!! hahahaha!! Try living on that!! (I had other income obviously) how do you secure a knowledgable trainer for the young kids who will get instruction there?????? Its no easy endeavor! Ray.
    Last edited by Ray Corso; 02-07-2013, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Why isn't it realistic to be a functioning gym anymore? Ray.
      The building has been vandalized and completely stripped by some of the finer citizens of Detroit. All cooper piping, any thing that is steel or in essence anything that could be stripped from the building and sold as scrap has all been stolen. I haven't been there since it's closing but all reports tell me that it is now just a hollow shell. The cost would be too great to replace all of the damage that has been done to the building.

A boxer friend of mine likes to use the term 'hood rats' and these hood rats absolutely destroyed a monument in our boxing world. They destroyed any chance of reopening the center with all of the destruction these hood rats put on our famed gym.

Citizens of Detroit seem to destroy everything nice around them and then they like to complain to the city that they have no parks or rec centers for their children. If they would not have destroyed the Kronk center than they could have had a nice rec center once the economy turns around and the funds could have been granted again. But the hood rat made sure that the famed gym will only remain as a memory rather than a functioning rec center for the community. It is gone..........

On a better note I want all of you to know that the Kronk name is still rolling strong and the new leader of Kronk is looking for a new location to work with his fighters. In time hopefully he will build another dynasty and legendary icon that Kronk was to Detroit. Only time will tell..........Rockin'

Comment

The original place was developed after WW 1 most people think Manny developed that center but he was a part time trainer there when he started. Ofcourse his labor and heart brought the boxing portion to fame! Its a damn shame what happened to the building but when the head falls all else fails!
        Detriot is a mess these days, I used to drive to Flint years ago it seems that the P.A.Ls and the USA/ABF was hosted by Flint a few years in a row and Flint had taken a hard hit from when I first went there up to my visits in the late 70s! All things pass but the memories are strong, I remember seeing Hilmar box as a kid and Emanual was very high on him. Seems like yesterday!
        Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          The original place was developed after WW 1 most people think Manny developed that center but he was a part time trainer there when he started. Ofcourse his labor and heart brought the boxing portion to fame! Its a damn shame what happened to the building but when the head falls all else fails!
          Detriot is a mess these days, I used to drive to Flint years ago it seems that the P.A.Ls and the USA/ABF was hosted by Flint a few years in a row and Flint had taken a hard hit from when I first went there up to my visits in the late 70s! All things pass but the memories are strong, I remember seeing Hilmar box as a kid and Emanual was very high on him. Seems like yesterday!
          Ray.
          Hilmer is one of the finest people that I have ever met, I love that guy. Hilmer took interest in me fairly early on. For inspiration he invited me to his house where I saw my first world title belt. Hilmer commentatd my pro debut aswell, he laid it on good and thick for me, but it was justified. Simply a great person...........Rockin'
          Last edited by Rockin'; 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM.

Comment

The sad part about this is all those kids on the street. A gym in the city kept them off the street.

Comment

And Joe Fraziers gym is now a furniture store

Yeah Klitturds, boxing is still thriving in America and people really care about become heavyweight boxeres

Comment

Working...
              X