No announcement yet.

Fighters who trained very little

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighters who trained very little

Trying to think of boxers who didn't bust a gut training for a fight, instead relying on their natural talent. Of course to become a world champ you have to have a great work ethic, but there must have been some who just didn't have to put that much in.

I know this happened late in the Prince's career

Wilfred Benitez.....notorious for not training.

Comment

In what sense? At all, ever? Just got by on nothing but pure talent (which is actually impossible. Even Benitez spent every second of his childhood in a boxing ring with a great coach as a father pushing him all day, every day)? Or at points in their career? Lots!

Benitez, at points didn't train hard for some major fights. He had arguably his greatest reign at 154 and for once actually did train for those big fights properly. You can see he just looks a little bit sharper than in previous years.

Duran was another who was terrible at training and had shocking habits during it. Reading Arcel and especially Freddie Brown's accounts of him is hilarious sometimes, sad at others. Brown especially was a tragic story as it was actually him that did most of the real work with Duran and spent all day, every day during training with him. Arcel came out of retirement and spent camp at the gym, but it was Brown that spent every waking, and many sleeping hours watching over him to make sure he wasn't running off, slacking off, etc etc.

It's still said that Brown literally died of a broken heart from the Duran/Leonard rematch. Reading Brown's account of it afterward is utterly tragic.

Imagine if these two had had the training habits of Hopkins, Mayweather, or Pacquiao.

Comment

Thanks to the two of you

Benny I meant top level/ATG fighters who trained less the others basically

Comment

If I recall, Maromero Paez only sparred and did no other training.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
            If I recall, Maromero Paez only sparred and did no other training.
            Then there was Danny "Kid Dynamite" Romero, who did absolutely no sparring.

Comment

Riddick Bowe was the first to jump to mind for me. James Toney was another.

To be honest, most great boxers had the odd slack training camp....Ali certainly did.

Comment

Monzon and Locche are the first two names that should be mentioned.

Comment

Fighters I knew from the 40 thru the 60s trained by road work, bag work, shadowing out and exercising. They did very little sparring because they fought on a regular basis and sparring could result in cuts and injury. Fighters who had over 150 fights in their careers fought 15 to 20 bouts a year. I remember my friend Gaspar Ortega having fought over 20 bouts in one year. He wasn't a big punchers and he was stopped ONCE in a 170 bouts so he compiled alot of rounds. Most of the lightweights up to welters fought often because there was so many men fighting in thoughs divisions. Plus the top 15 contenders fought each other all the time. Unless your working on new techniques sparring is over rated for seasoned pros.
                  Today its very different because the top flight guys only fight once every 12 months on average, not exactly taking on all comers. So they need to spar to resharpen their eye hand coordination. Ray.
                  Last edited by Ray Corso; 04-24-2012, 04:57 PM.

Comment

de la hoya had some great camps and some wretched ones
                    he hardly trained for felix sturm (and should have lost the fight.)

Comment

Working...
                    X