No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Gary Russell Jr. Open To Fighting Gamboa, Ponce, John

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Gary Russell Jr. Open To Fighting Gamboa, Ponce, John

Gary Russell Jr is coming off a spectacular 3rd round knockout over Robert Castaneda as he once again dazzled us with his speed and power. While Russell has been producing some highlight reel knockouts in his last couple fights, many are starting to wonder when the 2008 Olympian will step into the ring and put his skills to the test against a big name opponent.

BoxingScene ran a story when I spoke with Russell after his fight with Castaneda where he said he would like a shot at current WBC Featherweight champion Daniel Ponce De Leon in 2013. It’s a fight Russell reiterated wanting when he was on BoxingScene’s official radio show The Boxing Lab and even said De Leon is tailored made for him.

[Click Here To Read More]

he'll never get John who hides in Indonesia, Gamboa will beat him so he takes Ponce...makes sense...

Comment

I really like the idea of Russell Jr./Gamboa. Of all the fights mentioned, it's the one I truly think could go either way. Although Ponce has proven time and time again, he should never be written off.

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post
        he'll never get John who hides in Indonesia, Gamboa will beat him so he takes Ponce...makes sense...
        Chris John, I like how his "reign" goes unnoticed/non-impact to the Div lol so many sketchy "wins" it's pathetic really.

Comment

Very misleading. Anyone can say they are open to fights but when they say they want a few fights first, they are just blowing hot air. So in the meantime he doesn't fight anyone where the odds will be close. No thanks.
          Last edited by richardt; 11-15-2012, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I'd rather get behind Javier Fortuna and Karim Mayfield and other prospects who are willing to fight other unbeaten fighters and prospects like themselves. All the skills in the world and Russell fights setups and no-hopers. No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post
              Originally posted by ddangerous View Post
              I really like the idea of Russell Jr./Gamboa. Of all the fights mentioned, it's the one I truly think could go either way. Although Ponce has proven time and time again, he should never be written off.
              Gamboa has moved on. He's not moving back down in weight to fight Russell Jr. If he did, he'd win, in my opinion. Gary's a talent, but he's not ready for a monster like Yuri.

Comment

I am completely sold on Russel Jr. I think this guy has the tools to beat anyone BUT i wount believe any of this until the fight its actually signed.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
                  Very misleading. Anyone can say they are open to fights but when they say they want a few fights first, they are just blowing hot air. So in the meantime he doesn't fight anyone where the odds will be close. No thanks.
                  I tend to agree. He's not going to meet Gamboa at 135, which is where Yuri appears to be headed; and he's not ready to fight Gamboa now. So when and at what weight does Gary fight him? When Gamboa is old, fat and faded? It's not happening.

Comment

Originally posted by ..David.. View Post
                    I am completely sold on Russel Jr. I think this guy has the tools to beat anyone BUT i wount believe any of this until the fight its actually signed.
                    The kid's got the goods. Russell is truly a high-level talent...blinding hand speed, even faster than Gamboa. It's going to be interesting to see if Gary lives up to his potential. But they're bringing Russell up excruciatingly slow. That could affect where he eventually winds up.

Comment

Working...
                    X