Roach sees the catchweight helping Margarito more than Pacquiao

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roach sees the catchweight helping Margarito more than Pacquiao

By Chris Williams:

Manny Pacquiao will once again be fighting for a title at a catchweight when he takes on Antonio Margarito at a 151 pound catchweight for the vacant WBC junior middleweight title at the Cowboys Stadium, in Arlington, Texas. The catchweight was Pacquiao’s team’s idea obviously and not Margarito. You would think that the 5’11″ Margarito would be hurt by this catchweight more than the smaller Pacquiao, because Margarito is the one that has to melt down three more pounds to make the weight.

However, Freddie Roach, Pacquiao’s trainer, thinks it’s Pacquiao who will be at a disadvantage here, not Margarito. In an interview at GMA News, Roach says “I hate catch-weight fights. I’ll say this again, if Margarito has an advantage here, it’s the catch-weight that was instituted for this fight.” For someone who hates catchweight bouts, Roach sure has a funny way of showing it.

He should have opened his pie hole last time Pacquiao fought Miguel Cotto, the WBO welterweight champion, at a catchweight last year. I don’t see how Margarito is benefiting from this. Perhaps Roach wanted something a little more medieval in terms of a catchweight for this fight, like say 148 pounds. I bet that’s it. I can just see it, Margarito and Pacquiao fighting for the vacant WBC junior middleweight title weighing only one pound more than the welterweight limit of 147. I guess Margarito would be sufficiently weakened enough to give Pacquiao a big enough handicap so that he would win with ease.

they are both 147 pound fighters. having the fight at 150 helps margarito more than pac because margarito has to drop less weight. simple.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
      they are both 147 pound fighters. having the fight at 150 helps margarito more than pac because margarito has to drop less weight. simple.
      But he has to drop more than he would have to if they fought at the proper weight of 154, so it helps pacquiao more.

Comment

Working...
      X