No announcement yet.

Nigel Benn: "I wish I had Calzaghe's power"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
    dear me, lured in again. i pledge to make this the last.

you're trolling, but i'll bite. i think he's got a great chin because i saw it in evidence back in the day, and reviewing tapes only confirms my memories.

again, Eubank's chin was up and he got caught flush on it by Calzaghe while squared up and moving backward in an awkward fashion.

again, Collins knocked Chris down on a shot to the chest, again while he was squared up.

Watson was certainly a solid puncher, and he battered Chris, abused him upstairs and downstairs, before Chris went down (was basically forced to his knees). thread worth reading re. Watson's power, http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=500562, you'll note that those who actually know the guy's career have respect for his punch. after reading, you might like to actually watch some of Watson's fights.

also, it's cute that you left out Benn after previously mentioning him as one of the guys who dropped Chris. he certainly was a big puncher and that can't be disputed. Chris took his best shots and never went down, except for the one time that was half-slip and half-rabbit punch.
    marquez fought much better competition than eubank therefore marquez=iron chin! hey neither guy was ever ko'd right? that's the only criteria it seems so yeah iron chin for sure.

Comment

• nigel the comedian

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha & Omega View Post
        Man people love hating on undefeated fighters in here...Calzaghe and Floyd get so much hate its ridiculous. Guess when you are that good the haters hate.

Weird though that Calzaghe has "no power" yet he has a higher KO% than: Kendall Holt, Manny Pac, Vivian Harris, Hasim Rahman, Shane Mosley, Ricardo Mayorga, Roy Jones Jr....who are/were all known as big time punchers. Sometimes you have to actually know the facts before you speak
        can't argue with facts. calzaghe was a huge puncher.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Floyd Mayweather is my favourite active fighter.

Followed by Andre Ward, Anselmo Moreno, Kevin Mitchell, Orlando Salido and now Carl Frampton.

Must I support British fighters because I'm British? Am I not allowed to dislike British fighters because I am British?

How about you go and look in the Global boxing forum and check my threads in there.

Here's a few;

"Meeting Boxers events across the UK?"

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=450511

"Buying fight tickets for fights in the U.S"

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=582494

"What time does Williams Vs Martinez start UK time?"

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=335192

Hmm, sound like questions that someone from the UK would ask, in the Global boxing section, no less.
          oooooooooooooooooooooooh

Comment

• Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
            just to clarify, i could care less about Joe Calzaghe for the most part. his life, his face, his acccent, or the vast majority of his career, which was very often quite boring and ultimately deceptive.

but i do care that people misrepresent certain events and diminish the qualities of other fighters in order to suit their Calzaghephobic stances. if folk could only cut that out, they'd be free to hate on Calzaghe without any objection from me.
            old eubank was dropped by calzaghe. twice. even old jones was never hurt by calzaghe. i thought roy jones had a glass chin? wat happened!

Comment

• Originally posted by daggum View Post
              he can take a good shot sometimes and sometimes he gets dropped. aka not a great chin. we can pretend that watson, collins, and calzaghe were big punchers but they weren't.
              You didn't answer my question.

How many times was he dropped or badly hurt by one solid shot?

Comment

• Reminds me of those weird slap punches Chisora throws. Is that something they teach in Britain?

Comment

• Originally posted by CHOWWOKKA View Post

Reminds me of those weird slap punches Chisora throws. Is that something they teach in Britain?
                  Nah, Calzaghe is the founder.

Chisora is just a nutcase you have to take every single thing he does with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Originally posted by daggum View Post
                    old eubank was dropped by calzaghe. twice. even old jones was never hurt by calzaghe. i thought roy jones had a glass chin? wat happened!
                    Chris was famously ungainly and out of his element on the front foot. he got countered while rushing in (again square on), his poor stance/balance was exploited and his gloves touched down, but not his pants-seat.

Eubank was never hurt by Calzaghe. look at his reaction in both instances you're referring to.

your strawman arguments -- such as, "hey neither guy was ever ko'd right? that's the only criteria it seems so yeah iron chin for sure." -- are very devilish, too.

trolled by daggum, a man whose wit and manipulative skill i had so admired from afar. never thought i'd become a victim.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      You didn't answer my question.

How many times was he dropped or badly hurt by one solid shot?
                      well 5 times he was dropped by one shot and he was hurt numerous other times in his career. just watch the first benn fight. he was staggered numerous times. the watson fight. all over the place. dropped by joe flipping calzaghe twice. to you that equals great chin. i guess we have different standards.

Comment

Working...
                      X