Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ricky Hatton vs. Michael Stewart

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's no super fights @ 168 for Calzaghe but i'd like to see him in with Danny Green or the winner of Lacy/Vanderpool, I don't see the Tarver fight happening & he's already had his chance with Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by neils7147933
      I meant he has way more than Cotto - 37 to 21
      Sorry bruv, thought you meant Calzaghe

Comment

Originally posted by barryboy
        Sorry bruv, thought you meant Calzaghe
        No problem...

Hey, what do you think about Felix Sturm vs. Joe Calzaghe? Both seem to have "some" respect and both claim to be eager to fight some top American competition.

Don't know if Sturm is big enough physically - maybe they could meet at 165.

This fight would have some American interest.

Comment

Everyone seems to forget about Sturm, me included, i'd like to see him fight again, i didn't see his last fight but heard it wasn't too impressive so maybe the Delahoya result flattered him a bit, Calzaghe would probably be too strong for him & since Joe was talking about moving up to 175 i doubt he'd come in under 168.

Comment

Super Middleweight:

Syd Vanderpool
            Jeff Lacy
            Danny Green

Light Heavy:

Antonio Tarver
            Roy Jones Jr.
            Glen Johnson
            Rico Hoye
            Montell Griffin
            Dariusz Michalczewski
            Fabrice Tiozzo

I knew you would say Green and Lacy but would they be Calzaghe's step up? There both just prospects.

The only fighters who would be a big fight at light heavy are Tarver and Johnson.

Unless Jones seriously improves he shouldnt get in with Calzaghe(i never thought i'd say that!!!)

Johnson would need to improve a lot before a Calzaghe fight

Hopkins and Tarver are the only fighters worth fighting! They both ask for to much money = Joe will never prove himself!! And thats a ****ing shame!!
            Last edited by elveiel; 10-02-2004, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by elveiel
              I knew you would say Green and Lacy but would they be Calzaghe's step up? There both just prospects.

The only fighters who would would be a big fight are Tarver and Johnson.

Unless Jones seriously improves he shouldnt get in with Calzaghe(i never thought i'd say that!!!)

Johnson would need need to improve a lot before a Calzaghe fight

Hopkins and Tarver are the only fighters worth fighting! They both ask for to much money = Joe will never prove himself!! And thats a ****ing shame!!
              The WBO belt is gaining credibility, especially with how the WBA is stripping true champs and calling them "super" and giving another guy the belt, but the WBO is still the least credible of the 4 in most boxers' eyes. That's why Diego Corrales wants to fight Castillo - it's about getting a major belt, among other things. I know belts aren't as big of a deal as they once were; people give up belts voluntarily all the time but

Calzaghe fighting another champ would be a "Step up" in opposition in most fans' eyes. That "prospect" Lacy could have a better belt than Calzaghe tonight.

WBA Champs - Mads Larsen, Fabrice Tiozzo
              WBC Champs - Antonio Tarver, Cristian Sanavia
              IBF Champs - Lacy/Vanderpool, Glen Johnson

Rico Hoye is Glen Johnson's mandatory. If that fight doesn't come off immediately, Hoye vs. Calzaghe would be a good fight too.

The thing about these "prospects" is that they are using their visibility to step-up in competition. The perception is that Calzaghe never did that. He's lumped in my mind with guys like Gianluca Branco or Artur Gregorian, who fought nearly a whole career undefeated only to lose to the first top opponent they ever faced.

Comment

The WBO belt is gaining credibility, especially with how the WBA is stripping true champs and calling them "super" and giving another guy the belt, but the WBO is still the least credible of the 4 in most boxers' eyes. That's why Diego Corrales wants to fight Castillo - it's about getting a major belt, among other things. I know belts aren't as big of a deal as they once were; people give up belts voluntarily all the time but

Calzaghe fighting another champ would be a "Step up" in opposition in most fans' eyes. That "prospect" Lacy could have a better belt than Calzaghe tonight.

WBA Champs - Mads Larsen, Fabrice Tiozzo
                WBC Champs - Antonio Tarver, Cristian Sanavia
                IBF Champs - Lacy/Vanderpool, Glen Johnson

Rico Hoye is Glen Johnson's mandatory. If that fight doesn't come off immediately, Hoye vs. Calzaghe would be a good fight too.

The thing about these "prospects" is that they are using their visibility to step-up in competition. The perception is that Calzaghe never did that. He's lumped in my mind with guys like Gianluca Branco or Artur Gregorian, who fought nearly a whole career undefeated only to lose to the first top opponent they ever faced.
                There are a lot of good fights out there for Calzaghe, Lacy would be one but its about time he fights a big money fight. Even if Lacy holds a better belt than Calzaghe it doesnt matter, Ottke held a better belt than Calzaghe but every sane person knows Calzaghe would have whipped Ottke.

The only fight Calzaghe hasnt had is a super fight, he's stepped up to the top and stayed there so there is no chance of him getting beat by the first top guy he's been in with.

I'd like to see Calzaghe fight Tarver, Green and Hokpins and retire. not much chance of that!

Comment

Working...
                X