Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Dawson's Trainer Wonders if Andre Ward Can Adjust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopkins was landing a lot of right hands on Dawson. Ward should be able to do the same.

Comment

I agree with Scully, will be intriguing to see if Ward can adjust to Dawsons change ups during the fight, his previous fighters have been 1 dimensional.

Comment

"Chad is the type of guy to me like a Roy Jones, a Floyd Mayweather or a young Ali and you leave them alone. You make the other guy adjust to them. That is the basis of my training with Chad. You tweak little things here and there but he knows what to do in the ring," Scully stated."

Really? Obviously Scully done had his skull rocked one too many times...... and I've never seen Dawson make any major adjustments during a fight......

Originally posted by tredh View Post
        Should be a great fight I think Ward has more to his boxing game than he shown thus far. I don't have favorite in this fight. Way too tough for me to pick a winner. Physically I feel Dawson has the advantages but Ward is just a winner and mentally stonger than Dawson.
        True - Dawson lost his cool with B-Hop early in the first fight - and they didn't even get started. And Dawson's work rate is quite anemic.....

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        We know that Ward can fight well on the inside. But what happens if Dawson makes this an outside fight....Andre is good there too, but is he good enough to beat Chad at that range?
        Yes, Ward is, due to the fact he can make adjustments on the fly, while Chad can't. Plus, Ward always finds a way to exert his will on his opponent so don't be surprised if he's all up in Dawson's chest - so that's not even even a factor.....
        Last edited by MASTER1454; 08-27-2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davis40 View Post
          Hopkins was landing a lot of right hands on Dawson. Ward should be able to do the same.
          Being that ward is left handed I don't know how effective they will be

Comment

Originally posted by AyoMaDu View Post
            Being that ward is left handed I don't know how effective they will be
            hes not left handed at all. hes a switch hitter. he fights both orthodox and southpaw.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTER1454 View Post
              Scully done had his skull rocked one too many times
              Green.

Comment

I like John, he seemed like a really layed back guy here on Boxingscene. All that being said, him, and especially Dawson definitely seem to have a completely wrong outlook on the kind of fighter Ward is, and I just get the sense they either haven't watched much of him, or they just have no idea what they're looking at, which is highly doubtful, so it's more likely they've either just watched one of Ward's fights, or bits and pieces of his fights. Because, Chad made a comment in an interview I believe saying "They say Ward's versatile, I don't see that, he's just a guy who likes to get inside and rough guys up." Which tells me they've probably only watched bits and pieces of his fights with Green and maybe Bika.

But, look at the Froch, Kessler and Abraham fights and you'll see throughout the vast majority of those fights he boxes, and counters fluidly and skillfully. Ward undoubtedly has the foot speed and footwork advantage IMO. Dawson, while he has fast hands and throws nice combinations, has VERY slow feet for someone who is as athletic as he is.

The reason he lost to Pascal was because he couldn't get set on his feet quick enough, and Pascal was just too quick on his feet. Ward doesn't move as much as Pascal usually, but he has better foot placement and footwork then Pascal, look at the Kessler fight, he was in and out with combinations so quickly, Kessler couldn't utilize his counter punching skills.

I think Dawson has slightly faster hands, but Ward will be sharper and better and quicker on his feet, and will be in and out on Dawson so quickly Dawson won't be able to get set to throw his nice combinations, and then in the second half of the fight, I expect Dawson to really slow down, and Ward will subtly take the fight inside and work Dawson over en route to a UD with scores like 116-112 and 117-111.

Dawson is a great fighter, and probably the most talented fighter Ward has faced. But to me, Ward is more battle-tested and seasoned against young, fresh, and primed fighters. Ward's just now starting to enter his prime, and with each passing fight in the tournament, he's looked more versatile, stronger, and more relaxed. The performance against Froch with a broken hand speaks for itself. And, since Froch destroyed Bute in 5 easy rounds, that has tremendously raised
                Ward's stock for his win over Froch.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, Dawson's height and reach "advantages" really won't matter, Ward has short arms, and he's been fighting guys taller and longer then him throughout his entire professional and amateur career, including Makarenko, who was a tremendous amateur, and stood at 6'5", and Ward still beat him with relative ease.

Yes, amateurs and pros are different, but the point still remains that Ward has faced all kinds of different styles, sizes, skill levels, talent levels etc. and he has come out on top EVERY single time with relative ease since he was 12 years old, and with his amateur career and pro career combined he has a record of 140-5. So, since Ward has matured, and developed over the years he's never lost. You don't dominate world class, elite amateurs and professionals for 16 years straight without a loss without being something very special.

Can he lose? Of course, everyone can, but that doesn't mean it will happen anytime soon, Dawson is the ONLY guy right now in Ward's weight region that can at least give him a good fight IMO besides maybe Andre Dirrell, so if he gets past Dawson and beats him convincingly, there is no one else IMO, that could even give him a strong challenge, let alone come close to beating him, and I'd assume most would be inclined to agree.

This kid has literally cleaned out almost his entire weight class in under 30 professional fights, and is now fighting THE LHW champion 9 months removed from a VERY tough tournament, where he faced the very best there was to offer back to back. If that doesn't commend respect, especially in this day and age where boxers always look for the easy route out, then I don't know what DOES commend respect.

That's really all I have to say on Dre, Dawson and this fight. Also, everyone should praise not only Ward for jumping straight into such a tough fight after just coming off the tourney, but also commend Bad Chad as well for sacrificing his reputation, his status, and his credibility to make such a great fight. This fight is as raw and straight up old school as it gets. Thank you Chad Dawson, and thank you Andre Ward, you are truly respectable and great men and boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by SixFootGiant View Post
                  Virgil Hunter said it best with the Uzi and .38 comparison. Ward will be fine. He knows how to win, that's an intangible you cant teach to fighters.
                  that guy comes off pretty arrogant.

Comment

The only thing dawson has here is his height and his jab and as for comparing with hopkins lets keep it real chad would've never beat a 35 year old hopkins I don't look at chad being one of the greats really I don't I mean he looked bad with pascal and has struggled with other lesser fighters I think the weight loss is gonna hurt chad

Comment

Originally posted by Tmann400 View Post
                      I like John, he seemed like a really layed back guy here on Boxingscene. All that being said, him, and especially Dawson definitely seem to have a completely wrong outlook on the kind of fighter Ward is, and I just get the sense they either haven't watched much of him, or they just have no idea what they're looking at, which is highly doubtful, so it's more likely they've either just watched one of Ward's fights, or bits and pieces of his fights. Because, Chad made a comment in an interview I believe saying "They say Ward's versatile, I don't see that, he's just a guy who likes to get inside and rough guys up." Which tells me they've probably only watched bits and pieces of his fights with Green and maybe Bika.

But, look at the Froch, Kessler and Abraham fights and you'll see throughout the vast majority of those fights he boxes, and counters fluidly and skillfully. Ward undoubtedly has the foot speed and footwork advantage IMO. Dawson, while he has fast hands and throws nice combinations, has VERY slow feet for someone who is as athletic as he is.

The reason he lost to Pascal was because he couldn't get set on his feet quick enough, and Pascal was just too quick on his feet. Ward doesn't move as much as Pascal usually, but he has better foot placement and footwork then Pascal, look at the Kessler fight, he was in and out with combinations so quickly, Kessler couldn't utilize his counter punching skills.

I think Dawson has slightly faster hands, but Ward will be sharper and better and quicker on his feet, and will be in and out on Dawson so quickly Dawson won't be able to get set to throw his nice combinations, and then in the second half of the fight, I expect Dawson to really slow down, and Ward will subtly take the fight inside and work Dawson over en route to a UD with scores like 116-112 and 117-111.

Dawson is a great fighter, and probably the most talented fighter Ward has faced. But to me, Ward is more battle-tested and seasoned against young, fresh, and primed fighters. Ward's just now starting to enter his prime, and with each passing fight in the tournament, he's looked more versatile, stronger, and more relaxed. The performance against Froch with a broken hand speaks for itself. And, since Froch destroyed Bute in 5 easy rounds, that has tremendously raised
                      Ward's stock for his win over Froch.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, Dawson's height and reach "advantages" really won't matter, Ward has short arms, and he's been fighting guys taller and longer then him throughout his entire professional and amateur career, including Makarenko, who was a tremendous amateur, and stood at 6'5", and Ward still beat him with relative ease.

Yes, amateurs and pros are different, but the point still remains that Ward has faced all kinds of different styles, sizes, skill levels, talent levels etc. and he has come out on top EVERY single time with relative ease since he was 12 years old, and with his amateur career and pro career combined he has a record of 140-5. So, since Ward has matured, and developed over the years he's never lost. You don't dominate world class, elite amateurs and professionals for 16 years straight without a loss without being something very special.

Can he lose? Of course, everyone can, but that doesn't mean it will happen anytime soon, Dawson is the ONLY guy right now in Ward's weight region that can at least give him a good fight IMO besides maybe Andre Dirrell, so if he gets past Dawson and beats him convincingly, there is no one else IMO, that could even give him a strong challenge, let alone come close to beating him, and I'd assume most would be inclined to agree.

This kid has literally cleaned out almost his entire weight class in under 30 professional fights, and is now fighting THE LHW champion 9 months removed from a VERY tough tournament, where he faced the very best there was to offer back to back. If that doesn't commend respect, especially in this day and age where boxers always look for the easy route out, then I don't know what DOES commend respect.

That's really all I have to say on Dre, Dawson and this fight. Also, everyone should praise not only Ward for jumping straight into such a tough fight after just coming off the tourney, but also commend Bad Chad as well for sacrificing his reputation, his status, and his credibility to make such a great fight. This fight is as raw and straight up old school as it gets. Thank you Chad Dawson, and thank you Andre Ward, you are truly respectable and great men and boxers.
                      good post.

Comment

Working...
                      X