No announcement yet.

Gunnar Barlund

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxing_12 View Post
    Interesting. How do you think Barlund would of fared against other heavyweights of his era Baer, Schelmling, Walker, Abe Simon etc.
    I think Baer and Schmeling were of higher class than Bärlund to be honest. It's possible that he may have upset Baer on a good night, since Baer could be very inconsistent but that's a rather slim possibility.

Walker was smaller but he had success against many top heavyweights. He was a bit before Bärlund's time but had the two met in their relative primes, Bärlund would have had a decent chance because Walker would have fought his fight. Bärlund had problems with good boxers but in a slugging match he often came out the victor. Walker was as game as any boxer I've ever seen though and could have very well overcome the 30 lb difference in weight.

Simon was extremely strong, durable and had great stamina for a man of his size. Bärlund KO'd Buddy Baer who himself had KO'd Abe Simon.. Baer was in trouble in the early rounds against Simon but he came back to stop Simon with powerful punches to the head and body. Bärlund on the other hand just destroyed and KO'd Baer with body punches.

Bärlund was not the puncher that Buddy Baer was however but he had a good body attack which could have done damage to the much bigger man. It's also possible that Simon would have tired out Bärlund with his size and strength advantage. It's difficult to say without extensive film of both.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
      I think Baer and Schmeling were of higher class than Bärlund to be honest. It's possible that he may have upset Baer on a good night, since Baer could be very inconsistent but that's a rather slim possibility.

Walker was smaller but he had success against many top heavyweights. He was a bit before Bärlund's time but had the two met in their relative primes, Bärlund would have had a decent chance because Walker would have fought his fight. Bärlund had problems with good boxers but in a slugging match he often came out the victor. Walker was as game as any boxer I've ever seen though and could have very well overcome the 30 lb difference in weight.

Simon was extremely strong, durable and had great stamina for a man of his size. Bärlund KO'd Buddy Baer who himself had KO'd Abe Simon.. Baer was in trouble in the early rounds against Simon but he came back to stop Simon with powerful punches to the head and body. Bärlund on the other hand just destroyed and KO'd Baer with body punches.

Bärlund was not the puncher that Buddy Baer was however but he had a good body attack which could have done damage to the much bigger man. It's also possible that Simon would have tired out Bärlund with his size and strength advantage. It's difficult to say without extensive film of both.
      Here's a interesting fight. Primo Canera vs Barlund? That would be a interesting one

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing_12 View Post
        Is he a icon in Finland? And how do you think he would of faired against Louis, and did Conn just destroy him?
        some would know about amateur tournament named after him but that's about it.
        Finland really isn't boxing country

Comment

Probaly Finland's best ever fighter!

Comment

You know,I haven't seen St.Lion around these parts in a little bit.Ever since he lost the respect and was accused of being an ALT by ThGreatA,He has disappeared.

Since he left us,Boxing_12 has shown up with with constant starting of threads and a similar style of posting.

Now I am not making accusations here.......but I do wonder

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
            Likely the best boxer that Finland ever produced.
            Originally posted by cotto16 View Post
            Probaly Finland's best ever fighter!

Perhaps the bestest contact fighter to ever come out of Finland
            Last edited by BigMacFoster; 09-16-2009, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Actually am no ones alt, and if i want to say something i will say it on my only account.

You are the alt, foster. everyone knows u and slimey limey are the same peroson. I belive Great A and GJC have already sussed you out.

Am a young up and coming boxer who just wants to learn, i appriecet Great A uploading all these great fights for me to learn off, and i hope he continues to do it.

Comment

I believe St.Lion used to link me directly with Slimey Limey as an ALT.

I don't believe TheGreatA ever did Suss me out as an ALT.In fact,He doesn't make he habit of accusing me of being an ALT either,Neither does GJC anymore.

I merely pointed out such a coinky-dink,St.Lion regularly started threads in this forum and since TheGreatA broke his heart,He has been MIA,Then you just happened to show up.

Not that I cares about basic misspellings either,But St.Lion also spelt words fairly similar to how you did.

Again,No accusations being thrown around here

Comment

Originally posted by BigMacFoster View Post
                  I believe St.Lion used to link me directly with Slimey Limey as an ALT.

I don't believe TheGreatA ever did Suss me out as an ALT.In fact,He doesn't make he habit of accusing me of being an ALT either,Neither does GJC anymore.

I merely pointed out such a coinky-dink,St.Lion regularly started threads in this forum and since TheGreatA broke his heart,He has been MIA,Then you just happened to show up.

Not that I cares about basic misspellings either,But St.Lion also spelt words fairly similar to how you did.

Again,No accusations being thrown around here
                  You and slimey limey post the exact same, no one likes u around here you ****ing moron!

Comment

looking for great a

I know this thread is a year old or more.I was doing a family project and saw this thread on google and signed on to this site to reply It seems you have a great working knowledge of my grandfather. He is still revered in his home country, especially since he has the statue in Helsinki and there are many items on him in their boxing hall of fame. I am the son of Richard Barlund, and my son is also named Gunnar, so his name lives on. I appreciate all the fantastic insight into my Grandfathers career. My grandmother told me about Damski and my father has made mention over a scotch of the Conn fight. It always made them incredibly angry. One thing is clear. He was a man of honor and would never throw a fight. They always thought Damski took advantage of him. He died of Parkinsons, and I am positive his long amateur and pro career was a contributing factor, but his hands were still like stone when he passed - an iron grip. Thank you for knowing something and remembering my grandfather.

Comment

Originally posted by ebarlund View Post
                      I know this thread is a year old or more.I was doing a family project and saw this thread on google and signed on to this site to reply It seems you have a great working knowledge of my grandfather. He is still revered in his home country, especially since he has the statue in Helsinki and there are many items on him in their boxing hall of fame. I am the son of Richard Barlund, and my son is also named Gunnar, so his name lives on. I appreciate all the fantastic insight into my Grandfathers career. My grandmother told me about Damski and my father has made mention over a scotch of the Conn fight. It always made them incredibly angry. One thing is clear. He was a man of honor and would never throw a fight. They always thought Damski took advantage of him. He died of Parkinsons, and I am positive his long amateur and pro career was a contributing factor, but his hands were still like stone when he passed - an iron grip. Thank you for knowing something and remembering my grandfather.
                      Great to hear from you.

Bärlund's legacy becomes increasingly relevant with the rise of another heavyweight contender from around here, Robert Helenius. It remains to be seen whether Helenius can accomplish what Bärlund did in his time, who was at best a top 3 ranked contender by the Ring Magazine in Joe Louis's time. He wasn't far from a title shot himself, after all boxers worse than him got a shot at the championship.

Regardless of what Helenius goes onto achieve, Bärlund's accomplishments will stand on their own, he was one of the pioneers of the sport in this country and will always be remembered by the boxing fans who are interested in the sport's rich history, such as myself.
                      Last edited by TheGreatA; 12-15-2010, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X