No announcement yet.

Ali or Louis. Wh

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ali or Louis. Wh

This is a topic that has been debated for as long as I've been posting on boxing boards. But I haven't seen a good debate on this in a while. Who ranks higher and why? Head to head, pound for pound, all time combined.
    Ali ranks higher
    70.59%
    Louis ranks higher
    29.41%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by joseph5620; 11-28-2011, 01:14 PM.

I have Ali ahead on P4P and HW list, his accomplishments are just a shade superior in my opinion. People forget he also did make a substantial amount of defences only 6 less than Louis, albeit they weren't consecutive. Also 80 percent of the people he beat were ranked in the Top 10 and this was during the golden era.
    These statistics coupled with the fact Ali has better single wins also in Liston, Foreman and Frazier means he's closely but decisively ahead of Louis.

Head to head is completely debatable but I would bet on Louis oddly enough.

Comment

I rank Ali higher, but this is like a 1 and 1A proposition. I wouldn't argue with either one as the top choice.

Comment

There isn't much in it is there? These two rightly occupy the top spots of most heavyweight listings.

I tend to lean towards Ali, I'd pick him in a head to head plus he does have the better career wins.....but I wouldn't argue the subject.

Comment

Louis

- textbook fighter
          - better skills, fine technique, fearsome power
          - questionnable overall resume
          - only lost to the very best when he was green (Max) or past it
          - made more consecutive and overall defenses
          - retired as champion

Ali

-head hunter (didn't even know body punches were legal)
          - was nothing that impressive when his ability to move and dance around deteriorated (was never the same fighter after his 3 years forced retirement)
          - looked like a joke in many of his last fights, unofficially losing to Norton, Young, and maybe Shavers, he was a dsigrace next to the fighter he once was
          - has the best resume ever at heavyweight, but was not as consistent as Louis in his performances
          - struggled with many of his opponents and took an awful lot of punishment in the second part of his career
          - fought for way too long
          - relied too much on his athletic abilities and gifts
          - unorthodox fighter who did everything wrong and started to pay for it once his never before seen heavyweight athleticism deteriorated
          - great at psyching out his opponents before, during and even after a fight

I have Louis no. 1

Comment

Originally posted by Tiozzo View Post
            Louis

- textbook fighter
            - questionnable overall resume- only lost to the very best when he was green (Max) or past it
            - retired as champion

Ali

- was nothing that impressive when his ability to move and dance around deteriorated (was never the same fighter after his 3 years forced retirement)
            - looked like a joke in many of his last fights, unofficially losing to Norton, Young, and maybe Shavers, he was a dsigrace next to the fighter he once was
            - has the best resume ever at heavyweight, but was not as consistent as Louis in his performances
            - struggled with many of his opponents and took an awful lot of punishment in the second part of his career
            - unorthodox fighter who did everything wrong and started to pay for it once his never before seen heavyweight athleticism deteriorated

I have Louis no. 1
            Please, elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              This is a topic that has been debated for as long as I've been posting on boxing boards. But I haven't seen a good debate on this in a while. Who ranks higher and why? Head to head, pound for pound, all time combined.
              For me it's easy. Ali.

Ali has fought much better competition and his longevity is up there too.

Louis has the most title defenses but he fought in just another weaker era much like Tyson did. And looked fabulous (for the most part) doing it.

HtH, Louis gives Ali a few scares but in the end eats too much leather and get's stopped or a wide decision.

I agree that Ali relied too much on his athletic gifts and physical attributes (immense toughness and chin). Although he did have his share of skill, his defense was seriously lack luster once his legs went, which was quite early in his career.
              Last edited by them_apples; 11-29-2011, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiozzo View Post
                Louis

- textbook fighter
                - questionnable overall resume
                - only lost to the very best when he was green (Max) or past it
                - retired as champion

Ali

I have Louis no. 1
                Someone doesn't know what they're talking about.

Comment

Ali fought the better opposition, better wins, and overall better technique, footwork and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
                    Someone doesn't know what they're talking about.
                    oh really ? how so ?

please break it down for us master

Comment

Working...
                    X