Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the ability to recover after being hurt a result of great conditioning?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the ability to recover after being hurt a result of great conditioning?

If you noticed, fighters who are able to make comebacks in a fight after being hurt or knocked down were fighters with superior conditioning. Fighters such as Holmes, Holyfield, and Leonard all did it and as we all know they were always known for being tremendously conditioned practically every fight...

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
    If you noticed, fighters who are able to make comebacks in a fight after being hurt or knocked down were fighters with superior conditioning. Fighters such as Holmes, Holyfield, and Leonard all did it and as we all know they were always known for being tremendously conditioned practically every fight...

Ali always said so.....but I do wonder, his chin was cast iron even when he turned up in less than average shape.

To be fair, fighters with dickie chins tend rarely to improve them whatever their condition.

But Holmes, Holyfield and Leonard are three of the best warriors with the biggest hearts in history, no surprise that they fought till the bitter end in contests. All had excellent chins too.......(granted Leonard's deteriorated post Duran 3, probably too much weight loss for Norris and Camacho).

Comment

I would say it is a combination of conditioning, heart and/or will to win.
      Last edited by TBear; 07-27-2012, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post

it's a combination of heart, chin, and conditioning.

the conditioning is most important.

when you're completely exhausted your legs weaken.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post

this

experience plays a role as well. you not only know how, but you know that you can when you've been there before.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            this

experience plays a role as well. you not only know how, but you know that you can when you've been there before.
            That's true. Thomas Hearns had to learn the hard way to just hold when he needed to. So often I see fighters get hurt or knocked down and start trading right away getting hurt again. We would think instinctively they would run(stay away) or hold on for dear life til their head cleared but no...

Comment

Conditioning and the ability to stay relaxed. All chins are not created equally but these factors are key in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                this

Good point. You really don't know about a fighter until you've seen him react to adversity.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                  Ali always said so.....but I do wonder, his chin was cast iron even when he turned up in less than average shape.

To be fair, fighters with dickie chins tend rarely to improve them whatever their condition.

But Holmes, Holyfield and Leonard are three of the best warriors with the biggest hearts in history, no surprise that they fought till the bitter end in contests. All had excellent chins too.......(granted Leonard's deteriorated post Duran 3, probably too much weight loss for Norris and Camacho).
                  We all know Ali was just a phenom! I'd say in a general sense its the conditioning factor. It's certainly possible for a chin to deteriorate, though. Leonard once said on an HBO telecast that a fan had asked him if he worked out his jaw for taking punches. I think some fighters may even believe gum chewing could improve their chin. I also noticed, Chavez sr. would almost always work his jaw during the pre-fight introductions..

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                    ^This right here.

Comment

Working...
                    X