MIchael Spinks vs Me Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIchael Spinks vs Me Tyson

I Just watched Spinks/Tyson again.

The punches that put Spinks down don't look legit to me.

Ali's " phantom" punch on Liston is much more legit than the final
    knockdown of Spinks.

Your thoughts.

Originally posted by Andyland View Post

knockdown of Spinks.

Your thoughts.
    From memory and without a You Tube rewatch, the first knockdown contained a pretty spiteful uppercut.....but the fight ending punches were a grazing right hand and a left hook/uppercut that the US commentator at the time thought was a body shot; I think it may have caught Spink's chin.

Problem was that Spinks hit the canvas with the back of his head very badly; I don't doubt that this contributed to him failing to beat the 10 count.

I truly don't think the fight was fixed. Spinks was a very useful 15 round fighter at heavyweight (as evidenced by the Holmes fights, which were close....whether he was the deserved winner or not). He obviously wasn't the biggest or strongest heavyweight, neither was he a fast starter. Tailor made for Tyson!!

Comment

Yeah, Tyson fixed it with his fists.

Comment

Spinks vs Tyson

I don't mean to imply a conspiracy to fix this fight.

I just think that Spinks wanted out and the punches that put him down
        were very questionable .

Comment

knockdown of Spinks.

Your thoughts.
          Me spinks he got hit on the chin

Comment

I don't mean to imply a conspiracy to fix this fight.

I just think that Spinks wanted out and the punches that put him down
            were very questionable .
            While he had absolutely no chance against Tyson, I was hoping for a more spirited battle from a proven warrior like Spinks.

Comment

He felt tyson's power and wanted a way out,, first knockdown was legit, 2nd probably was too but spinks made no effort to get up,, he wanted out, and probably would have never taken the fight except for the 20 million payday

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                He felt tyson's power and wanted a way out,, first knockdown was legit, 2nd probably was too but spinks made no effort to get up, he wanted out, and probably would have never taken the fight except for the 20 million payday
                Contrast that to Trevor Berbick's heart being overruled by his body, in one of the greatest failed efforts to continue fighting that I've ever seen...

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                  Contrast that to Trevor Berbick's heart being overruled by his body, in one of the greatest failed efforts to continue fighting that I've ever seen...
                  yes,, the a single punch for tyson, knocked berbick down 4 times,, people claim 3 times, but as the ref waves it off, berbick starts going down for the 4th time and the ropes and the ref hold him up...

One of the funniest moments,, huge heart for trying to get up, but his body was like "Hell No, we done for the night"

Comment

knockdown of Spinks.

Your thoughts.
                    You cannot possibly be serious! You could see Mike had his entire body behind those last three punches landed in the fight.. Also, you can see Spinks' eyes rolled back as he lay on the canvas which was evidence it was a legit knockout..

Comment

Working...
                    X