No announcement yet.

Wilfred Benitez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilfred Benitez?

I was reading about him last night and saw a highlight video. How good was he? Can anyone suggest fights I should check out?

Saw he beat Duran and had a close fight with Hearns. What lead to his decline though?

Thanks in advance.

he was a prodigy that eclipsed too soon. champ at 17, past his prime at 25. watch his fight with sugar ray and you'll see what i mean. beat a crazy @ss mexican in palomino in the fight to win his first strap at 17. el radar was phenomenal.

Comment

Originally posted by baya View Post
      he was a prodigy that eclipsed too soon. champ at 17, past his prime at 25. watch his fight with sugar ray and you'll see what i mean. beat a crazy @ss mexican in palomino in the fight to win his first strap at 17. el radar was phenomenal.
      Yeah I saw he was a 3 division champ really young (don't have the tab open now so I might be wrong)

Youngest world champion I think, 140 and fought in front of his classmates. I will watch the palomino fight tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
        Yeah I saw he was a 3 division champ really young (don't have the tab open now so I might be wrong)

Youngest world champion I think, 140 and fought in front of his classmates. I will watch the palomino fight tonight
        he just didn't put in the work to match his vast natural talent. even with that he beat duran and went 15 w/ ray. it's rumored he had a 2 week camp for the sugar fight.

he's in real bad shape now, sad.

Comment

Saw he was in poor shape, have to ask my dad about him

Comment

Benitez was only 17 when he beat a solid champion, Antonio Cervantes. Plenty of his early fights show why he was known as "Radar" because of his instinctive defense. I've always felt his win over Duran was his career highlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              Benitez was only 17 when he beat a solid champion, Antonio Cervantes. Plenty of his early fights show why he was known as "Radar" because of his instinctive defense. I've always felt his win over Duran was his career highlight.
              He fought Duran at WW or 140? Was it after SRL?

I know I'm asking weird questions but I would rather ask you guys than Google stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                christ, i said palomino lol

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
                  He fought Duran at WW or 140? Was it after SRL?

I know I'm asking weird questions but I would rather ask you guys than Google stuff.
                  He boxed Leonard at 147, Duran and hearns was at 154 ....a fight u wanna check out is with Maurice hope at 154 and it actually won knockout of the year.....when he actually knocked him out he had a smirk on his face as hope crumpled to the floor....he was an amazing fighter and in my eyes the greatest Puerto Rican boxer of all time......I was reading a little interview from sugar ray and he was saying he paid him a visit recently at his nursing home..he's blind apparently but he knew who it was as soon as Leonard walked in the room....spoke about there fight Leonard cried apparently and Benitez said to him your lucky I never trained for you other wise you would have lost ....I think his father made some really bad decisions for him and mismanaged him......a personal favourite of mine and such gifted technical fighter...legend

Comment

Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
                    He boxed Leonard at 147, Duran and hearns was at 154 ....a fight u wanna check out is with Maurice hope at 154 and it actually won knockout of the year.....when he actually knocked him out he had a smirk on his face as hope crumpled to the floor....he was an amazing fighter and in my eyes the greatest Puerto Rican boxer of all time......I was reading a little interview from sugar ray and he was saying he paid him a visit recently at his nursing home..he's blind apparently but he knew who it was as soon as Leonard walked in the room....spoke about there fight Leonard cried apparently and Benitez said to him your lucky I never trained for you other wise you would have lost ....I think his father made some really bad decisions for him and mismanaged him......a personal favourite of mine and such gifted technical fighter...legend
                    Thats incredible. [MENTION]!!Shawn[/MENTION] made me look him up.

What a shame he's living in such bad health now. His mother passed in 2008 and earlier he was stuck in Argentina because his promoter robbed him (when he boxed)

He looked healthy at Camacho's funeral. He stood up and struck a pose.

Comment

Working...
                    X