No announcement yet.

Put yourself in Sugar Ray leonards Place

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
    I'll tell you why I think the no mas fight bothers Leonard. Duran had all kinds of excuses ie stomach cramps etc. What Leonard want(ed) to hear is Duran saying that he was so humiliated by Ray's antics that he didn't know what to do with himself. Duran being Duran would never give such an admission to Leonard and Leonard hates it. They both have massive egos.

Yes..your on the right track..here's what happened..Duran was so angry
    that Ray was "Clowning"..that Duran applied a psych maneuver to out
    do Ray's psych maneuver..The maneuver was "Ray,if you don't want to fight,
    then we won't fight,watch this"..and Duran halted the fight..Duran cut off
    his own nose to spite his face...It was a botched psych maneuver on Duran's
    part..He was trying to "one-up" Ray..that's all..and it came out screwed up.
    I don't hold it against Duran because his "Intent" was to hurt Ray,not
    quit...

Comment

Originally posted by toooooool View Post
      quit...
      Duran WAS humiliated to the bottom of his soul and he didn't know know how to handle it. I bet he feels humiliated to this very day and Leonard basically wanted to rub it in in the doc made of this.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        Duran WAS humiliated to the bottom of his soul and he didn't know know how to handle it. I bet he feels humiliated to this very day and Leonard basically wanted to rub it in in the doc made of this.
        I doubt it...Duran participated in the documentary didn't he?...he could
        have just said NO...I just remember Rays face all sullen and Duran looked
        great...Duranis still number 8 ATG...Ray is nowhere near that.

Comment

I doubt it...Duran participated in the documentary didn't he?...he could
          have just said NO...I just remember Rays face all sullen and Duran looked
          great...Duranis still number 8 ATG...Ray is nowhere near that.
          I dont think Leonard has a problem with him being lower on various subjective ATG lists TBH. He had a few prime years off due to a detached retina. It's not like he could have done much better as it was.

Comment

Duran halted the boxing match..he didn't quit..their is a difference...examples
            of quitting would be when Tyson,Delahoya,Liston, and others wouldn't get
            off their stools for the next round...because they were beaten up into
            submission..Duran halted the boxing match to spite Leonard,not because
            he was beaten into submission..This is why Leonard doesn't get credit for
            'beating' Duran.
            Nope Anthony is correct and heres why, one can sweat the technicalities but Duran stopped because he was beat up. Bottom line, end of story. Want a great analogy with a slightly different ending? Jack Johnson allegedly asked his girl to leave the ring because he knew he was going to stop...and while it is always a possible fix the bottom line is that fighters stop fighting when they cannot fight anymore. And that is what Duran did he submitted the match.

Comment

quit...
              Your joking right?

Comment

Duran quit like a dog and disgraced himself and boxing during a very high profile PPV fight. Any other version of that is simply delusional.

Comment

Duran has approximately 231 excuses for No Mas. It has been counted and documented.

That evil duo Ray Leonard and Mike Trainer, knowing Duran would gain eat 3 steaks, consume 3 six-packs of beer, and fornicate with 4 hookers on a daily basis

Instead, they should have waited for Duran to fight someone else and run the risk of Duran losing.

Comment

Put myself in Leonard's place? Okay, if I was in Leonard's place, I would've accepted the win over Duran in the second fight, had the 3rd fight sooner and won a dominant decision without the clowning to get the bad taste of my and some fans' mouths and been a man and fought Hagler sooner, not when I knew he was done, as Leonard himself even admitted to doing and not been an a$$hole about it by making a big announcement in a boxing ring, leading people to believe it was going to be for a Hagler fight, instead of making the dick move of deciding to retire, knowing Hagler was in attendance.

Comment

Working...
                    X