Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Come with the punch" - Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try the donkey punch, it definitely helps you to come with the punch.

Comment

Originally posted by PitbullParsons View Post
      I'm with Ray here. Scripted sequences aren't much of anything but show. If you are just getting into boxing then yeah it can be used to teach how to react in a situation but if you're at the pro level it's more for show. Pretty sure every fighter out there wishes his opponent let him know what punch was going to be coming.
      Mike Tyson used to use scripted sequences in fights all the time, Kevin Rooney even used to shout out numbers during rounds indicating to Mike what punches too throw.

Larry Merchant - "Some said that Tyson at his best was predictable. So is a hurricane. What can you do about it?"

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
        Mike Tyson used to use scripted sequences in fights all the time, Kevin Rooney even used to shout out numbers during rounds indicating to Mike what punches too throw.

Larry Merchant - "Some said that Tyson at his best was predictable. So is a hurricane. What can you do about it?"
        Those are called combinations and it's something that can be learned on the heavy bag. You don't need the mitts for what he did.

Comment

They are scripted none the less. There is even audio of D'Amato calling out number sequences for his fighters during training.

I know people hate Mayweather but this is one area that it's silly to dislike him for. The pad work can be very effective if you have someone knowledgeable working with you.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            They are scripted none the less. There is even audio of D'Amato calling out number sequences for his fighters during training.

I know people hate Mayweather but this is one area that it's silly to dislike him for. The pad work can be very effective if you have someone knowledgeable working with you.
            With a name like "ShoulderRoll" it's obvious you'll be a proponent for this type of pad work.

It's just a media workout, show off routine. Floyd doesn't actually fight like that, does he?

Furthermore, in the video you posted, sr was teaching the kid combos etc. It wasn't pitter patter pad work.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoJim View Post
              It's just a media workout, show off routine.
              You're incorrect. It hones defensive reflexes while also sharpening offensive tools at the same time. It's a great addition to any boxer's training routine in my opinion.

Comment

For the right hand he means you have to step into the punch. Same thing as when you push off for a jab except you throw the right hand. Should not be a big push off the back foot. Basically you're just kind of catapulting it forward.

Easiest way to demonstrate pushing off the back to throw the right hand(Starts at around 45 seconds to save you the joke parts of the segment)

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  You're incorrect. It hones defensive reflexes while also sharpening offensive tools at the same time. It's a great addition to any boxer's training routine in my opinion.
                  I agree that traditional pad work does what you said, but the way Mayweather does it is a waste of time. Have you seen the Ring perfect execution series? Thats the way you do pad work. Mayweather just holds his hands out throwing short little punches, occasionally rotating his fist, while Roger slaps his hands. That's not sport specific. A lot of the time he looks away from the pads. Any routine you can do without looking is not beneficial.

It's to show off to the cameras, just like Pacs shadow boxing.
                  *edit*: Furthermore, look at Adrien Broner. He copies this crap; do you think it has helped him?
                  Last edited by PsychoJim; 08-20-2015, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoJim View Post
                    I agree that traditional pad work does what you said, but the way Mayweather does it is a waste of time. Have you seen the Ring perfect execution series? Thats the way you do pad work. Mayweather just holds his hands out throwing short little punches, occasionally rotating his fist, while Roger slaps his hands. That's not sport specific. A lot of the time he looks away from the pads. Any routine you can do without looking is not beneficial.

It's to show off to the cameras, just like Pacs shadow boxing.
                    *edit*: Furthermore, look at Adrien Broner. He copies this crap; do you think it has helped him?
                    Broners pad work is not even close to testing reflexes and stamina like Mayweather's. Now that's slapping the mitts. He doesn't work D and doesn't move around with it like Mayweather does either.

Just wtf dude. If the P4P #1 doesn't know something that you do then I guess we all are lost. I wouldn't suggest that kind of pad work to everybody(or anybody at all for that matter) but it works for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
                      Just wtf dude. If the P4P #1 doesn't know something that you do then I guess we all are lost. I wouldn't suggest that kind of pad work to everybody(or anybody at all for that matter) but it works for him.
                      You're rebuttal is ******ed. Just because an elite boxer does it doesn't mean it's effective. I'm sure if Floyd drank his own piss he would have knocked out Manny. If we all did what an elite boxer did (or said he did, to be precise) then we'd be bathing in brine, shadowboxing underwater, sleeping on concrete floors or tying string round our penises à la Primo Carnera.

The mitt routine, as I've said, is just for the media. You seem to agree with me that it's ineffective (you said you wouldn't recommend it to anyone). And I never implied I know more than Floyd. Arguing further is just moronic.

Comment

Working...
                      X