Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andre Dirrell vs. Carl Froch II - Who You Got?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerbreadman View Post
    Just saying "every round has a winner unless there's a point deduction" doesn't make that statement true. Nor does making sweeping generalisations about those who give them. Sometimes a judge can weigh up a round and find that neither fighter had a clear-cut edge over another, or that one fighter's advantage in one category is balanced by his opponent's in another. I agree that they should be used sparingly, since there've been some horrific cards handed in by European judges in the past. Doesn't make the concept of an even round any less invalid.
    I have never seen an even round unless there was a point deduction. Show me which round was even in Froch-Dirrell.

Comment

Dirrell

The speed difference is just too great. Dirrell will know that coming into the fight and will have a more solid gameplan.

Comment

This sounds like the fight I saw:

Froch vs. Dirrell, round by round
        By J. Michael Falgoust, USA TODAY

Round 1: Dirrell opens the punching first, coming out right-handed even though he's a southpaw. Froch is jabbing but can't reach him. Froch is now going to the body with the jab. He misses badly with a left hook as Dirrell sidesteps it easily. Dirrell is trash-talking to Froch already. Dirrell switches to lefty. Froch lunges and misses badly. Dirrell goes back to orthodox stance. The difference in hand speed is remarkable in Dirrell's favor. 10-9 Dirrell.

Round 2: Dirrell feinting Froch. He's not dancing. He's holding his ground as there's more posing from both than punching. Dirrell is now fighting southpaw. He gets Dirrell on the ropes and misses with a lead left hook and gets countered with Dirrell's left twice as the American smiles at him. Froch gets him pinned again but can't get anything done. Good double jab from Dirrell. Froch gets him pinned again but Dirrell gets out of it by feinting and making Froch hesitant to pull the trigger. 10-9 Dirrell.

Round 3: Dirrell scores with a straight left hand. Froch punches him out of a clinch. Froch has him in the corner again. And he does it again, mugging at Froch. Dirrell is circling and is back in the corner again. He counters Froch with a left hand, skates out of the corner as Froch chases him to score with a right hand. There's crazy cheering for Froch by his hometown, but he's not landing much except for occasional jabs to the body. 10-9 Froch.

Round 4: Dirrell scores a left to the body and lefts to the head. He's sitting down more now as he tries to back up Froch. Good left to the body. Great straight right hand from Dirrell after a lead hook from the orthodox stance. Dirrell's nose bleeding. Not clear which punch did that. Froch jabs at his body with some success. 10-9 Dirrell.

Round 5: Good right hand from Dirrell as Froch charging in. Good left to the body by Dirrell. Good right jab-left hand from Dirrell. Froch falls into a clinch and tosses Dirrell to the canvas to the joy of the crowd. Froch is short with a right hand. Froch fouls with a shot in the clinch again when the referee called for a break. 10-9 Dirrell.

Round 6: Froch lunges with a right hand and a left hook as he gets Dirrell in the corner and misses both by a mile. Dirrell gets under Froch's flurry. Finally scores a right on Dirrell, who bounces out of the corner with a left hand to the chin. They both punch during a clinch as the action heats up and there's a lot of rough tactics. Right hand lands for Dirrell. This is more of the style Froch wants, but even though the crowd is charged up, he's getting little done. He can't land more than one punch at a time and not much clean. 10-9 Dirrell.

Round 7: Good lefts from Dirrell as Froch can't pin him. Froch is visibly frustrated. Solid jabs from Dirrell. Froch is clearly stronger in the clinch. Dirrell is warned for holding. A double left from Dirrell. Froch is getting to Dirrell, who doesn't want to fight inside. Dirrell is doing more complaining to the ref than punching. Froch is charged up, gets caught with a left hook at the bell. 10-9 Froch.

Round 8: Good jab by Dirrell, who has the fight back where he wants it now. Right hand counter lands to Froch's head. Good three-punch combo from Dirrell. Big left from Froch as he catches Dirrell retreating with his hands down. Dirrell appears OK. 10-9 Dirrell

Round 9: Froch can't find the range with his jab. Dirrell winning the jabbing contest. Now Froch starting to land it more. Good left from Dirrell. Good right-left hook from Dirrell as he smiles at Froch whose punches fall short. Dirrell pinned on the ropes, but Froch can't find him with anything clean. Dirrell looks tired. Ref warns Froch for holding and hitting behind the head. Good double jab from Dirrell, who finishes the round strong. 10-9 Dirrell.

Round 10: Dirrell doing all the punching as Froch stalks, missing a sweeping right hand with Dirrell in the corner. Good left by Dirrell. Froch lands a jab. Ref takes point from Dirrell for holding at 1:11. Dirrell is retreating, scores a pair of hard left hands on Froch. Froch pins him on the ropes, but a pair of left hands score flush as Froch is staggered and falls back to the ropes and appears ready to go. The crowd goes silent as the bell sounds. 9-9.

Round 11: Dirrell is in the corner as Froch flurries. It all misses and Dirrell comes up with a left hook to back off Froch. He hurts Froch with a left hand and a left uppercut. Dirrell is going at him, but gets caught by a left hook though he takes it well. Dirrell is going for the KO. He's standing and punching really hard. Good lead left from Dirrell. Froch keeps punching but Dirrell gets under everything he's throwing, who can't capitalize with Dirrell on the ropes. Lefts to the head score for Dirrell. 10-9 Dirrell.

Round 12: Dirrell's trainer tells him he needs a KO to win since he's in Froch's hometown. Both fighters look tired and a bit sloppy. Dirrell has done all the scoring in the early half of the round. Froch scores a good right uppercut in a clinch. Good jabs from both. Dirrell runs down Froch and assaults him with both hands. Dirrell doesn't do much for the rest of the round, however, as Froch carries the action. Problem is, he doesn't land anything telling. 10-9 Dirrell.

Official scores: 114-113, Dirrell; 115-112, Froch; 115-112 Froch.

Falgoust's score: 117-110, Dirrell

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego View Post
          Wow, way to go all nationalistic with it. I'm Russian, you jackass. And, no, fights are won in whatever way it takes to win more rounds. If you win the first 7, you can run and hide and do whatever you want as long as you don't get knocked down or points taken away. That's how fights are scored, Bernard Hopkins. It's cool though. I remember my first fight.
          THATS THE THING THOUGH HE DIDNT WIN THE FIRST 7 ROUNDS , he was like a scared little rabbit in there , only the most biased of people would say dirrel clearly won that fight !

and a fight is just that a fight ! its who can inflict the most damage , who can hurt the other the most , bernard hopkins and his like are bad for boxing .................. noone really wants to watch that **** !

they want to see warriors fighting ! want to see knock outs , and blood ! and bravery , determination !

not some old man faking injury's to buy some time so he can catch his breath its ****ing embarrassing !

ward is the same are boring safey first low risk taking fighter ! boring as ****

Comment

Originally posted by fatmash View Post
            THATS THE THING THOUGH HE DIDNT WIN THE FIRST 7 ROUNDS , he was like a scared little rabbit in there , only the most biased of people would say dirrel clearly won that fight !

and a fight is just that a fight ! its who can inflict the most damage , who can hurt the other the most , bernard hopkins and his like are bad for boxing .................. noone really wants to watch that **** !

they want to see warriors fighting ! want to see knock outs , and blood ! and bravery , determination !

not some old man faking injury's to buy some time so he can catch his breath its ****ing embarrassing !

ward is the same are boring safey first low risk taking fighter ! boring as ****
            I mentioned Hopkins because he was the one who told Larry Merchant after his first loss to Taylor that fights are scored based on who does the most damage, not who wins the most rounds. Sound familiar? Your dumb ass is saying the same thing. Here's a scenario: if Cory Spinks pecks a guy to death with his jab for 10 rounds and stays on his bicycle but gets cut over his eye from rights hands in rounds 11 and 12, guess who wins the fight?

Comment

you talk sh!!!t

you should want to watch great athletes

Dirrell took froch to school, Ward is head master.

Comment

Wow, way to go all nationalistic with it. I'm Russian, you jackass. And, no, fights are won in whatever way it takes to win more rounds. If you win the first 7, you can run and hide and do whatever you want as long as you don't get knocked down or points taken away. That's how fights are scored, Bernard Hopkins. It's cool though. I remember my first fight.
                I mentioned Hopkins because he was the one who told Larry Merchant after his first loss to Taylor that fights are scored based on who does the most damage, not who wins the most rounds. Sound familiar? Your dumb ass is saying the same thing. Here's a scenario: if Cory Spinks pecks a guy to death with his jab for 10 rounds and stays on his bicycle but gets cut over his eye from rights hands in rounds 11 and 12, guess who wins the fight?
                no one wins , spinks is disgraced and a laughing stock who noone respects , because hes fights like a coward !

and the other guy is called a bum for letting it happen !

its lose lose !

its spinks who ??? and the other guy' ohhh that bum '

Comment

no one wins , spinks is disgraced and a laughing stock who noone respects , because hes fights like a coward !

and the other guy is called a bum for letting it happen !

its lose lose !

its spinks who ??? and the other guy' ohhh that bum '
                  Thank you for giving me all the evidence I need that this argument is over. I hope you watch boxing for many years, man. One day, you may end up learning something about it! Then we'll get you a big boy chair to watch the fights in.

Comment

Originally posted by Broken Dreams** View Post
                    you talk sh!!!t

you should want to watch great athletes

Dirrell took froch to school, Ward is head master.
                    i don't want to see athletes i want to see violence ! i want to see blood ! i want to see warriors ! i want to see someone get hurt ! i want to see someone damaged ! i want to see a event ! i want to see something that excites that inspires that makes my heart beat faster !

if i want to see athletes ill watch the Olympics thanks

dirrells a coward in everysones eyes ! and wards the sleep master thats about it ! he putts people to sleep ....................... and not in the way a fighter should lol
                    Last edited by fatmash; 05-27-2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

After the DISGRACE of ducking the Ward fight (which really killed momentum of tournament imo), I don't ever want to see Dirrell fight again. Dude's weird antics overshadowed his performances and left a really bad taste in my mouth. His bull**** ruined the tournament.

I liked Dirrell a lot more than Ward coming into the super six and hardly knew who Froch was, but things change. **** Dirrell. The Froch fight was way too ugly to warrant a rematch anyway

Comment

Working...
                      X