No announcement yet.

Did Roy Jones Jr. duck Steve Collins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AKATheMack View Post
    Aside from being the most physically gifted fighter in the history of the sport Roy may also be the cockiest. I seriously doubt he actually believed anybody was a challenge for him and so i dont see why he would duck them.
    Jones wanted nothing to do with Jirov

Comment

Originally posted by .PrettyBoy32. View Post
      Steve Collins gets no credit, he gave prime Mike McCallum all he could handle when he was a mere novice.
      Watch a few more Steve Collins fights he was the real deal.

And he doesn't get enough credit for beating Chris Eubank, when the fact is Steve Collins was the one who was considered past his best at that time. And he was older than Chris Eubank.

It just seems the British fans give Steve Collins no credit at all. Despite taking on opponents like Sumbu Kalambay, Tony Thorton, Mike McCallum, Reggie Johnson ETC.

Why didn't the fight happen?
      Collins was a very good boxer in his prime. He beat Eubank and Benn and gave a very good account of himself against Johnson. I heard the fight didnt get made because Collins got some sort of injury in training and doctors advised him to retire. Which he did

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
        Collins was a very good boxer in his prime. He beat Eubank and Benn and gave a very good account of himself against Johnson. I heard the fight didnt get made because Collins got some sort of injury in training and doctors advised him to retire. Which he did
        HBO chief, Lou Dibella, last night insisted there had been no contact between himself and either the Collins or Jones camp on the possibility of a fight.
        Dibella, who as chief of the network to which Jones is contracted, would have to okay such a deal, said in a telephone conference: "There would be little or no interest in Collins v Jones in America. Collins has not fought in a year and a half and although he was a very good champion there would not be a great deal of interest in him in America at the moment. If he wants to fight someone else before Roy Jones then interest may pick up.
        "I would like to see Collins fight Joe Calzaghe, who holds Collins' former super middleweight crown. Calzaghe is an exciting fighter, whom we have earmarked to fight Roy Jones at some stage. At the moment Reggie Johnson, the IBF light heavyweight champion, is the one who I feel most deserves a shot at Jones. However, if Collins was to fight Calazaghe possibly on a Jones undercard, then the winner could meet Jones in their next contest," said Dibella.
        http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer.../15/fshead.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Bollocks View Post
          He ducked alot of fighters in his prime.
          Quite a few...

Comment

Working...
          X