No announcement yet.

Did Roy Jones Jr. duck Steve Collins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Roy Jones Jr. duck Steve Collins?

Steve Collins gets no credit, he gave prime Mike McCallum all he could handle when he was a mere novice.
    Watch a few more Steve Collins fights he was the real deal.

And he doesn't get enough credit for beating Chris Eubank, when the fact is Steve Collins was the one who was considered past his best at that time. And he was older than Chris Eubank.

It just seems the British fans give Steve Collins no credit at all. Despite taking on opponents like Sumbu Kalambay, Tony Thorton, Mike McCallum, Reggie Johnson ETC.

Why didn't the fight happen?

He beat Benn aswell

Comment

He ducked alot of fighters in his prime.

Comment

I hate collins lol

Comment

Originally posted by .PrettyBoy32. View Post
          Steve Collins gets no credit, he gave prime Mike McCallum all he could handle when he was a mere novice.
          Watch a few more Steve Collins fights he was the real deal.

And he doesn't get enough credit for beating Chris Eubank, when the fact is Steve Collins was the one who was considered past his best at that time. And he was older than Chris Eubank.

It just seems the British fans give Steve Collins no credit at all. Despite taking on opponents like Sumbu Kalambay, Tony Thorton, Mike McCallum, Reggie Johnson ETC.

Why didn't the fight happen?
          Besides being the frontman for Genesis what had Collins done to that point? I admit once he went out on his own, he did well, but other than that he wasnt what people thought he was.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhopreign View Post
            Besides being the frontman for Genesis what had Collins done to that point? I admit once he went out on his own, he did well, but other than that he wasnt what people thought he was.
            But he wasnt always the frontman, he became the frontman after peter gabriel and thts when he started to become big headed and full of himself.... steve collins turned a great prog rock band into a mainstream pop/rock group

Comment

Mohammad insists that there is no question of Jones facing Collins in Las Vegas, Dublin or anywhere than in the Irishman's imagination. He refutes the support which Jones' manager, Stanley Levin, has given to the fight, and says that Levin must either have exceeded his authority to speak for the fighter, or else has been misquoted or misinterpreted.
              Yet, Levin, a Florida lawyer, who gives the impression of operating on a rather higher moral plain than is customary in this business, stands by his word. There is clearly a split in the ranks, and one possibly significant aspect of the affair is that Mohammad is trying to steer Jones into a light-heavyweight championship unification match with IBF title holder, Reggie Johnson. Jones already holds the WBC and WBA versions.
              http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer.../15/fshead.htm

Comment

i always liked collins and was a big fan but if you say roy ducked him then you can also say collins ducked calazge because clazs wanted to fight collins and collins retierd,he wanted roy but never bought enough to the table at that time

Comment

Aside from being the most physically gifted fighter in the history of the sport Roy may also be the cockiest. I seriously doubt he actually believed anybody was a challenge for him and so i dont see why he would duck them.

Comment

Originally posted by project xxx1 View Post
                    i always liked collins and was a big fan but if you say roy ducked him then you can also say collins ducked calazge because clazs wanted to fight collins and collins retierd, he wanted roy but never bought enough to the table at that time
                    Calzaghe was Collins mandatory for his wbo smw belt when Collins retired. Collins said he would only stay in boxing to fight Jones, but seeing as how the fight couldnt get made he retired.

Calzaghe says the Collins was afraid he was going to lose, which is why he retired

Levin tried to make Jones-Collins but Murad shot it down, he wanted Jones to unify the lhw divison instead, so Jones fought Reggie Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X