Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

was guzman too scared to fight campbell?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was guzman too scared to fight campbell?

There's no other way to explain why he put on the weight, was he ducking campbell??

Originally posted by boxing_great View Post
    There's no other way to explain why he put on the weight, was he ducking campbell??
    So scared that he'd throw away his belt at 130? Are you that dumb?

Comment

I don't think so. He's had problems like this before and I doubt he was having confidence issues. He wasn't intimidated in the Barrios and Soto fights, and those guys don't take much crap from anyone either. I think it's more about commitment than anything else.
      Last edited by Jose Rizal; 09-18-2008, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by El Dominicano View Post
        So scared that he'd throw away his belt at 130? Are you that dumb?
        some boxers vacate their belts so they dont fight particular fighters moron.

Comment

So you think he was ducking Alex Arthur as well?

Comment

Damn I guess Alex Arthur would have given him more problems then Nate!

Comment

Guzman was the one that wanted the fight with Campbell and Campbell admittedly said he didn't want to fight Guzman (saying it was his mandatory but he'd rather fight bigger names).

Guzman was also a 2-1 favorite and undefeated. Why the hell would he be scared again???

Comment

Scared And Boxing Dont Go 2gether

Comment

I wouldnt go so far as to say he was "scared", because I dont think any fighter at this level is actually afraid like that, but I believe he was certainly concerned about losing his undefeated record. A few things point me in that direction:

1. His own trainer (Floyd Sr.) told him to his face he couldnt win the fight
                  2. His people told him to go ahead with the fight, and they would stop it if necessary
                  3. Nate really got into Joan's head at the press conf. you could see it in his face. Then Joan got up and said he didnt say any of the nasty stuff in the media, that his people did. Who cops deuces like that BEFORE a fight? Thats usually saved for the post-fight presser.
                  4. Joan most likely didnt feel 100%, and knew he needed to be every bit of 100%
                  5. His trainer said at the presser that the announcer would end up saying "and still", alluding to Nate keeping his titles.

So taking all these things into perspective, I'd have to say his confidence couldnt have been all that great. But "scared"? Nah, I dont buy that.......

Comment

I think his problem is he let's himself bloat up way too much in between fights that it makes it harder for him to trim down. What's worse is that he should've learned from his past mistakes but he continues to disappoint at the scales.

Credit to a guy like Hatton who looks like a lard ass in the initial presscons yet somehow manages to pull it off without looking weak at fight night.

Comment

Working...
                    X