Does the "Shoulder roll/Philly Shell" work in the Amateurs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bozbay View Post
    Thanks for the insight.

I'm from London so there are very few trainers who can teach the "Michigan" style of fighting. The only way I can practically learn the "shoulder-roll" is by studying tape and learning from my own mistakes. I assume that isn't enough?
    You're competing right now? Age, weight, # of bouts so far?

I'd go as far to say it's a Detroit style, but there are other guys who used it around the country.

I had a great fighter to learn from in our stable, James Toney. You guys saw the stuff that he did in his fights and labeled him great. You should have seen the stuff that he would pull off during his gym wars, he was really amazing. I had many oppertun****** to watch some great fighters work/fight in Detroit through my time and I never saw anybody that worked with the roll better.

If you want to send me one of your videos I could look at it and possibly have some input on putting the works of the roll all together for you. The first thing that you will need are very keen and sharp eyes along with boulders in your sack to allow guys to throw at you openly and freely.

I'm interested to hear what you are doing in the sport at this time. If you would like my input than send a video, I'd be glad to help out if I am able to....

Comment

I remember, before that fight, working with Bronco McCart while I was learning the roll. Johnny knew that Bronco could fight and he told me that he wanted my gloves held to the side of my face, that he wanted me to put the pressure on him and that he didn't want me throwing any punches, just catching and rolling. With Bronco being a southpaw it was tricky but I just tuned my eyes in and went to work. Of course I threw a couple of punches but after the session I was surprised at how well the session went. I caught, rolled or slipped most of the shots and let me tell you that Bronco threw fast and hard. ?That's when I knew that Johnny was really on to something with this rollin' business. It made the warring in the ring so much easier, it just gives you a chance to relax and work once you get your eyes sharpened up and in tune......

Comment

Yes.

Because in the amateur game, it's favored to head hunters.

The shoulder roll works best against head hunters.

1+1=2

Most people can't use it though, so what's the point?

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
          Yes.

Because in the amateur game, it's favored to head hunters.

The shoulder roll works best against head hunters.

1+1=2

Most people can't use it though, so what's the point?
          most people are just too afraid to let a guy throw at them. once you sharpen your eyes it's a new world in a ring. the shoulder roll works perfectly fine against both head hunters and against body work though. the body work is actually easier to defend against.....

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            You're competing right now? Age, weight, # of bouts so far?

I'd go as far to say it's a Detroit style, but there are other guys who used it around the country.

I had a great fighter to learn from in our stable, James Toney. You guys saw the stuff that he did in his fights and labeled him great. You should have seen the stuff that he would pull off during his gym wars, he was really amazing. I had many oppertun****** to watch some great fighters work/fight in Detroit through my time and I never saw anybody that worked with the roll better.

If you want to send me one of your videos I could look at it and possibly have some input on putting the works of the roll all together for you. The first thing that you will need are very keen and sharp eyes along with boulders in your sack to allow guys to throw at you openly and freely.

I'm interested to hear what you are doing in the sport at this time. If you would like my input than send a video, I'd be glad to help out if I am able to....
            17 years old with 7 fights at 141 lbs/64 kg, been boxing for a few years, so I am still relativity 'new'. I'm a counter-puncher but have avoided the shoulder-roll purely because my trainers say it's not fit for the amateur ranks. I know/may know the 'mechanics' of the shoulder-roll from studying a lot of tape, but never implemented it in the ring.

Comment

I would say that with headgear, peripheral vision is diminished some so it would be hard to see hooks coming. But since you're a counter puncher it could work for you.

Comment

17 years old with 7 fights at 141 lbs/64 kg, been boxing for a few years, so I am still relativity 'new'. I'm a counter-puncher but have avoided the shoulder-roll purely because my trainers say it's not fit for the amateur ranks. I know/may know the 'mechanics' of the shoulder-roll from studying a lot of tape, but never implemented it in the ring.
                Don't bank your chips on tape. If you're going to learn something, it needs to be taught. ESPECIALLY the shoulder roll. In this day and age, everyone tries to mimic the shoulder roll. It's not as foreign a look as it once was. But, it also isn't practiced correctly 90% of the time.

The shoulder roll needs to be TRAINED, not just done in sparring. For instance a mitt man who knows the practicality and rationals of adjusting that shoulder mid combination to allow you to obtain the reflexes needed to make it efficient.

I say all this because I've been trained heavily in the means of the shoulder roll, as well the ol' Texas slip-slide. And both of these, in a stylistic manner, can honestly only be truly effective if taught from the cradle.

It just needs to be taught, drilled, and practiced with a watchful eye making sure you are doing things correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
                  Don't bank your chips on tape. If you're going to learn something, it needs to be taught. ESPECIALLY the shoulder roll. In this day and age, everyone tries to mimic the shoulder roll. It's not as foreign a look as it once was. But, it also isn't practiced correctly 90% of the time.

The shoulder roll needs to be TRAINED, not just done in sparring. For instance a mitt man who knows the practicality and rationals of adjusting that shoulder mid combination to allow you to obtain the reflexes needed to make it efficient.

I say all this because I've been trained heavily in the means of the shoulder roll, as well the ol' Texas slip-slide. And both of these, in a stylistic manner, can honestly only be truly effective if taught from the cradle.

It just needs to be taught, drilled, and practiced with a watchful eye making sure you are doing things correctly.
                  Daym. I am ****ed then.

Comment

Daym. I am ****ed then.
                    There's techniques you can utilize, but to adopt that style as a whole you need a keen, watchful coach.

Comment

When its done well yes, I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                      X