Collapse
No announcement yet.

The fighter who had everything.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M8,this is like....the gr8test thread EVA!!!!!!!!!!!

Sugar Ray Leonard vs the vast majority of todays fighters from 140-154 = a lot of dudes getting Ranzany'D

Comment

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
      respectfully, Roy and Oscar do not belong with those other guys.
      They were fantastic in terms of skills. Of course some were better than others.

Comment

prime pac vs prime leonard OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenAssassin View Post
          They were fantastic in terms of skills. Of course some were better than others.
          setting resume comparisons aside and just looking at what all those guys brought to a fight, Oscar and Roy are just not as faceted, not what i think of when i summon to mind fighters who could be described as 'complete' or near as damnit.

Comment

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post

no excuses, Ray was as past his best as Hagler was.
            gtfoh...hagler was 60+fights old, with wars against hearns, & mugabi, behind him, taking on all comers,and srl, was on the shelf, for damn near 4 years, still in his 20's...

truth is, sugar ray leonard, he ain't want it with marvelous marvin hagler in his prime...he fake retired, and hid safely behind the mike, until he saw hagler slip bad in the mugabi fight...

sugar ray leonard, fought kevin howard, in what was thought to be a tuneup for hagler, but after kevin howard, put sugar ray leonard on the deck, sugar ray leonard, figured it was better to get back behind the mike, than face hagler, after that scare with the light hitting kevin howard...

...and what was up, with sugar ray leonard, rematching marvelous marvin hagler?...i guess sugar ray leonard knew his history, because he had to know, that marvelous marvin hagler, avenged every loss and draw on his record, dude welched on the rematch, and left hagler a bitter dude behind it...

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
              M8,this is like....the gr8test thread EVA!!!!!!!!!!!

Sugar Ray Leonard vs the vast majority of todays fighters from 140-154 = a lot of dudes getting Ranzany'D

Why you got to bring Sacramento into this?

I sometimes wonder why I haven't had a SRL sig on my time on here.

Might need to fix that.

Comment

Seeing SRL entering the ring for the Hagler-fight, is a moment I will never forget. Goosebumbs all over. It was bigger than the moonlanding....i imagine.....the fight was ****ing great!!!

Comment

Leonard was a class act. Extraordinary speed, intuition and over-all skills.

As far as the Hagler bout I say Leonard handled him like a true craftsman. I believe that he had Hagler very tentative to let his puches go once Hagler saw how outclassed he was in speed, he was simply worried that Leonard would make him look bad. With Marvins extremely high sense of pride he was tentative through the whole bout and never did really let his hands go fluidly. Leonard won that fight.

Leonard displayed legendary skills that night against Duran. I am certain that with Durans enormous bravado he would much rather get ko'd than to be infront of millions of fans being made to look the fool. Leonard knew this, played his showmanship and took Durans heart. There is no victory more fulfilling in the ring to a fighter than to take your opponents heart and grind it into submission.

Leonard could display every skill of any great fighter through history, except for one aspect. He never had that true one punch ko power that feeds every boxing fans craving. He could certainly ko people but I believe that his ko's came from great timing, placement and the speed at which they were delivered 'shocking' many opponents to the cavas.

Overall Leonard is easily within the peramiters of an All-Time Great............Rockin'
                  Last edited by Rockin'; 01-19-2013, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by askoe View Post
                    Seeing SRL entering the ring for the Hagler-fight, is a moment I will never forget. Goosebumbs all over. It was bigger than the moonlanding....i imagine.....the fight was ****ing great!!!
                    ehhhh, it was a great promotion, but the fight itself, was garbage...you had one guy, the linear champ, who came to fight, against another guy, the challenger, who was basically throwing pitty-pat flash combos, shoeshining, and downright running...the last two rounds were horrible...

now sugar ray leonard, vs. duran 1...that was a great fight...

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
                      and left hagler a bitter dude behind it...

The bitterness probably has a lot to do with losing to a washed up,one-eyed,coke-addicted,blown-up welterweight(aren't those the type you usually criticize Hopkins for fighting?) in front of a worldwide audience.After Leonard was done with Hagler,he was a drug addict,an alcoholic,and a hermit that his wife had to file a restraining order against.

Sugar Ray

Comment

Working...
                      X