Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filipino Arts of Suntukan, Kali, Arnis and Eskrima....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filipino Arts of Suntukan, Kali, Arnis and Eskrima....

Mga Kabayan, recently merong thread sa main forum about Taekwondo vs Karate vs Boxing...but no one talked about Filipino Boxing. No I'm not talking about the Pacquiao and all...hehehe but our ancient art of Suntukan, Sikaran, Arnis, Eskrima and Kali whom I was very fortunate enough to have trained here in the States via Guro Dan Inosanto...

Here's what I posted: in the main forum:

Try Filipino Martial Arts of Kali, Escrima and Arnis....what we know as Western Boxing was really influenced by Filipino Boxing in the early 1900s. The pre-1900s boxing was like those old British Boxing type.

Please see Dan Inosanto, the legendary teacher and practitioner of Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee's only student who was certified in his Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do, The Tao of Jeet Kune Do and then some).

He is also a "learned" martial artist to have have trained with at least 30 Filipino's Bladed arts, boxing, wrestling....and with Muay Thai (under Master Chai Sirusite), have his own MaPhilIndo Silat (revival of the Majapahit Empire arts of Malaysian, FIlipino and Indonesian indigenious arts)..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Lo-0RTe2zvw

Notice the fluidity of the Filipino Boxing Arts that influenced the Western Boxing....

As you guys know the movie Blade, Bourne Identity...etc...etc...etc. was choreographed by Jeff Imada (author of the Balisong Manual and a student of Guro Dan Inosanto)

i was reading up on this myself a few weeks back:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskrima_in_popular_culture

it seems jeff imada likes to incorporate it in his films.

eskrima was used in some capacity in resident evil, bourne, and taken - hopefully they use it in taken 2 as well lol

Comment

FMA never influence boxing. Boxing evolve itself from the beginning.

As far as wikipedia, some might be true but some might not. Anybody can go to wiki and add information that might not be true. I remember that they put BJ Penn as having Pinoy roots even though its false.

Comment

Originally posted by loui_ludwig View Post
        FMA never influence boxing. Boxing evolve itself from the beginning.

As far as wikipedia, some might be true but some might not. Anybody can go to wiki and add information that might not be true. I remember that they put BJ Penn as having Pinoy roots even though its false.
        sometimes i think WE TRY TOO HARD us filipinos.

trying to make wild claims or saying this guy or that is pinoy.

we are who we are.

no need to say this or that to be proud of our people.

we did invent the yoyo though. oh yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post

we are who we are.

I agree but do you have historical evidence to prove that we invented the yoyo?

Comment

daniel alpha nagtuturo ka ba ng FMA? kung oo, saan ka nagtuturo at magkano? may home service ka ba?

Comment

Originally posted by kadyo View Post
              Chinese have their own version of yo yo. Greek might have also. But it was a Pinoy who introduced it in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by kadyo View Post
                yes.

lapu lapu introduced magellan to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post

we are who we are.

We did not invent the yoyo....these false claims are in our textbooks that I myself read when I was in school. Another one is the Fluorescent Lamp by some Pinoy named Flores.........completely false!

Comment

Originally posted by Chups View Post
                    We did not invent the yoyo....these false claims are in our textbooks that I myself read when I was in school. Another one is the Fluorescent Lamp by some Pinoy named Flores.........completely false!
                    lapu lapu killed magellan with a yoyo.

that's my story and im sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X