Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is boxing in it's worst state in modern history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is boxing in it's worst state in modern history?

I've been following boxing since the mid 90's...i mean watching every televised fight, ppv or otherwise, watching fights online, subscribing to boxing magazines and websites, travelling to live fights etc. I don't know if it was just cuz i was younger and naive, but i don't recall the sport ever functioning this badly on an elite level. I always remember the schedule being fairly consistent and there always being a good fight to look forward to. Now it seems like there's less fights lined up, and in my country(canada), the networks don't carry as many fights as they used to. I guess what I'm looking for here is some reassurance that things aren't really as bad and some perspective on how it's getting better.

As far as big fights and ducking this is worse time ever. You have 3 WBC champs who gave up their belt when facing hard fight.

But you're wrong on fights happening. Mabaku vs Bellew is today and Vargas vs Salido Saturday. A week later is Ruslan vs Molina and 2 weeks after that is Thurman vs Porter.

Comment

Depends what country you're in. In the US I think this post-Manny & Floyd era looks dim at the moment & the dimmest time in quite awhile, certainly since I've been following boxing. In the UK doe things seem great if not the best in a long long time. And places like Russia & China still got their hey days ahead of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Depends what country you're in. In the US I think this post-Manny & Floyd era looks dim at the moment & the dimmest time in quite awhile, certainly since I've been following boxing. In the UK doe things seem great if not the best in a long long time. And places like Russia & China still got their hey days ahead of them.
        Yeah. From the 90s on boxing has always had a solid American boxing star to carry the sport as its flagship fighter, from Tyson to De La Hoya to Mayweather and Pacquiao (who American fans basically adopted). There's been no solid transition to another big star so we're in a transition where another will need to be built up.

Until that happens, casual fans will keep one eye on boxing over here. Could be Golovkin, could be Alvarez, but I think the next big thing here will be Crawford and maybe Wilder if he can pull things together.

Comment

definitely at its worst ever. everyone is following the floyd blueprint. they try to make the most money will avoiding challenges. there are no more heroes in this sport. manny and wlad were the only great fighters who had that throwback mentality of fighting despite the odds. where is that now??? NOWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've come to realize that boxing is such a joke loser sport. MMA is honestly better than boxing in every aspect. barely anyone cares about boxing. good riddance. i hope boxing dies out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ninth Layer View Post
            but I think the next big thing here will be Crawford and maybe Wilder if he can pull things together.
            We are f#cked if it depends on Crawford & Wilder for a legit American star. Wilder in particular is very primitively skilled I feel. He takes risks so he's fun to watch & how can you not root for him if you know his story, but I think he's more likely to be the HW Arturo Gatti than the next big thing. Crawford I keep hearing everyone say is gonna be the next big thing, but I just don't see it. Him beating Postol would go a long ways to me changing my opinion doe.

And GGG is a Ukrainian-American & Canelo is a Mexican-American (more Mexican than Oscar who was more like an AMERICAN-mexican) so idk if either of those guys fully count. Although to be fair Manny & Lennox become more American than their actual backgrounds when they started selling PPV's & winning the big fights.

Comment

Its pretty bad. Everyone stopped fighting each other, all we get is an occasional bum fight.

What happened to the days of Maidana Khan, Berto Ortiz, Marquez Vazquez, Alexander Bradley

We use to get good solid fights, regularly.

I can't remember the last good one we got.

Comment

Boxing is doing great

In the US its doing pretty poorly, but its a global sport now.

Comment

I miss the times where hbo and showtime had huge budgets and were competing with eachother and espn had friday night fights. I think part of it for me is the tv network that carried showtime fights in canada, dropped them. I always enjoyed showbox.

Comment

Rogers Super Channels in Canada dropped Showtime boxing a year ago. Made sense because there was hardly any fights shown.

Comment

Working...
                    X