No announcement yet.

Knock it Off with the Mayweather-Pacquiao talk

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knock it Off with the Mayweather-Pacquiao talk

Pac is coming off two back to back losses, the last one which ended up with him being rendered unconscious for several minutes by a guy who Floyd one every second of every round against. He is about to fight a guy who is coming off a loss against Mike Alvarado, and Alvarado is probably the 15th best guy between 140 and 147. Even if Pac wins he is probably even less worthy of winning the Mayweather sweepstakes than Amir Khan, who Floyd will likely fight in May because Alexander is a soft touch Khan can beat, and Khan will offer tons of British PPV revenue nobody else can.

But before it makes dollars its gotta make sense, and the financial logistics of it don't make sense. Part of the reason why the two make so much is because their opponents usually make so comparably little. If they fight they are going to each want at least the usual $30M for Pac and $50M for Floyd, but since they will be fighting each other in such a big fight they'll want more, so bump them each another $10M and you're looking at $100M purse to dole out. Cable providers and networks get half of PPV revenue so that means the fight needs to generate $200M in revenue to simply break even. Is it possible? Maybe. Is it too big of a risk? Probably. I just can't see it working out when 90% of the revenue comes from PPV and there simply isn't a big enough boxing PPV-buying market out there to justify the purses theyd be asking for.

Mayweather needs names. That's it. People are already conceding that there is not one in the current landscape with a chance of winning a decision, now it must be made to seem that a fighter can catch him and knock him out.

That's Pacquiao. Was Mattyhsse. People hope for GG and Martinez.

All of them but, maybe, Pacquiao would take a couple of million for the attempt. They either knock him out or get UD'd in 12.

Comment

LOL I love it, "Mayweather needs names..." and then you proceed to name Matthysse who no casual sports fan had heard of until this weekend, GGG who is contracted to HBO and gives them poor ratings and again no casual sports fan has heard of, and Martinez who is also contracted to HBO and does mediocre ratings for HBO.

All you want to do is see Floyd lose so you're suggesting he fight two weight classes higher at middleweight which is absurd.

Comment

You're speaking like I'm for/ against somebody. I'm all about REAL fans of the sport. They know every fighter I named. The boxing world's enthusiasm makes fights big when combined with a fighter's nationality. Canelo has a big hispanic backing. Cotto had a big PR backing. Pacquiao was a f'n national treasure.

Mayweather has already demonstrated that, outside of landing that punch, Canelo and Cotto don't have much of a chance against him. Pacquiao is the only one with that type of fanbase.

Matthysse, GG and Martinez were named because they would, at least, set the boxing world on fighter before, you know, Matthysse was shown to not be what he was made out to be.

GG and Martinez are simply people's next hope. Mayweather is just too good but he has to fight someone and people want that someone to be a fighter that has every advantage possible over him. Weight, age, height, power, good workrate, solid chin, good footwork, etc. Everything possible to knock Mayweather off his "high horse".

Comment

Id like to see someone with real boxing skill. Only problem is there really is no one at that weight with a good pure boxing set.

Comment

Money fights for money, logical to fight Pac he brings the biggest purse still and now that Pac got ktfo Mayweather will take an even bigger cut.

Comment

Pacquiao is coming off 1 loss.

I don't know anybody except mathed who thought bradley beat a clearly unmotivated pacquiao

and he was looking like his old self until a roided marquez turned off the lights with one punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Strictly_UG View Post
                Pacquiao is coming off 1 loss.

I don't know anybody except mathed who thought bradley beat a clearly unmotivated pacquiao

and he was looking like his old self until a roided marquez turned off the lights with one punch.
                In the words of larryx immortalized by Jack Napiers sig, "tim boxed mannys ears off."

How do you know Marquez is on PEDs anyway? I say he's clean.

Comment

Working...
                X