Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Smoking affecting boxer's performance??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    I'm sure that you are speaking from your experience in the ring. Sooooo many fighters smoked.............Rockin'
    Yup, obvious example: Mayorga, what do you think about him?

Comment

As a smoker myself, I can tell you first hand that smoking effects any type of athletic performance, it makes your reflexes slower and severely reduces your stamina. Most athletes that are able to do it have to be exceptionally skilled at what they do. Many great soccer players from past and present smoke(d), but their exceptional skills allowed them to be competent, albeit while giving up a physical advantage they may have had over the competition. ex Dimitar Berbatov, Alessandro Nesta, Zidane, Cruyff, etc...[/QUOTE]

Well put. However, there may be a "hidden" advantage to picking up the habit if you box. Namely: your ability to move up in weight class will skyrocket exponentially if you can manage to smoke for several years and then give it up. Once you quit--trust me on this--the weight gain is "natural" but fast. I doubt anyone could handle moving up three, four, five, even six weight classes with the ease of an ex-smoker. I went from super middle to cruiser in under a year--seamlessly. If you know what I mean...

Comment

Smoking makess your lungs smaller and work harder. dont think that would be great for boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by ST. NICK View Post
          As a smoker myself, I can tell you first hand that smoking effects any type of athletic performance, it makes your reflexes slower and severely reduces your stamina. Most athletes that are able to do it have to be exceptionally skilled at what they do. Many great soccer players from past and present smoke(d), but their exceptional skills allowed them to be competent, albeit while giving up a physical advantage they may have had over the competition. ex Dimitar Berbatov, Alessandro Nesta, Zidane, Cruyff, etc...
          Well put. However, there may be a "hidden" advantage to picking up the habit if you box. Namely: your ability to move up in weight class will skyrocket exponentially if you can manage to smoke for several years and then give it up. Once you quit--trust me on this--the weight gain is "natural" but fast. I doubt anyone could handle moving up three, four, five, even six weight classes with the ease of an ex-smoker. I went from super middle to cruiser in under a year--seamlessly. If you know what I mean...[/QUOTE]

Gaining weight it seems to be less difficult than going down..I mean you just have to eat more right?? And who does not like eating ??

Comment

Yeah, it hurts your cardio; unless you're Monzon, in which case it somehow helps it

Comment

Working...
            X