would Greb is p4p number 1?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yes Sequitur View Post
    I'm in agreement with Larry, here.
    For all I know, Sugar Ray Robinson at welterweight might very well be the finest fighter of all time, but, quite simply, there is no way for me to attest to that.
    For me to support that claim, I'd need to be able to witness and assess his performances myself. If proof does not exist, then it is simply left to question.
    Sure, resume can help support that position, but once again, we're left with the same problem. You have to accept the strength of his opposition at the time purely on the faith of others' words.

How reliable would it be to declare Picasso the greatest artist of all time without the luxury of being able to actually view his work today?
    Would it be enough for you to just be told via word of mouth that, back in the day, people who saw his work were really, really impressed?
    What if we never had the musical manuscripts for the works of Mozart and his music could never be recreated or heard again.
    Would it be enough for you just to know that the people who did get a chance to hear it back in the 1700s heartily declared it the greatest music of all time, never to be challenged?

Boxing is not an objective sport - hence why we have judges. If boxing was more like sprinting, we wouldn't need video evidence.
    If the records of history had shown a man to have run the 100m in 9 seconds flat in the early 1900s, it wouldn't matter how that 9 seconds looked on camera, we could objectively call him the fastest sprinter in recorded history.
    Boxing, sadly, cannot be afforded that luxury.
    So to say, X is the greatest fighter of all time, having seen little to none of his greatest performances is, I feel, a very sketchy position to hold.
    You're relying on the strength of other peoples words.
    And that's how myths get started.
    not really you're judging whos the goat off records. who would beat who in a fight is impossible to know

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      I had the first fight a draw,,, hopkins did nothing till the last 4

but what about the rematch,,, Taylor clearly won that
      yeah I guess I can give him the nod in a very close rematch. I say neither 1 of them did anything the first 8 rounds of the first fight but Hopkins put some hurt on him in the last 4

Comment

Originally posted by Davis40 View Post
        yeah I guess I can give him the nod in a very close rematch. I say neither 1 of them did anything the first 8 rounds of the first fight but Hopkins put some hurt on him in the last 4
        Yes i agree but unforntuately they score round by round and not the whole fight

If memory serves me right, i think hopkins won rounds 4,6,9,10,11,12 with neither guy doing much at all, but taylor was really the only one throwing punches early, and his jab was dictating the pace of the fight... I think hopkins gave away more rounds than taylor actually winning them

Comment

Working...
        X