No announcement yet.

what were sugar ray robinsons greatest wins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what were sugar ray robinsons greatest wins

Beating fritzie zitic, His first win against jake lamotta while giving up weight,
    The st valintine day masacrare against lamotta to win the middleweight title

can you add to the list of this p4p greatest fighters feats.

The wins against Gavilan are good, particularly the second one.

Comment

His KO of Fullmer.

Fullmer was a nightmare for Ray all around, but he took out one of the toughest guys ever with oe of the greatest punches ever.

Comment

Aside from his legendary fights with Jake Lamotta some other great fights include his struggle with Randy Turpin and his comeback TKO and as mentioned by Barn his fight with Kid Gavilan.

Comment

Might not be his greatest win, but my favorite to watch is the KO over Rocky Graziano.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            Might not be his greatest win, but my favorite to watch is the KO over Rocky Graziano.
            That was a brutal knockout, SRR looked unstoppable in that fight, the way Graziano's mouthpiece flew off!

Comment

His win over Carmen Basilio in their second fight, a bit older now but he was still able to pull it out when people were doubting him. Sugar Ray was so good when it came to rematches he would adjust and make sure you didn't beat him the same way as you did in the first fight.

Comment

Defeating undeafted Willie Pep (109lb) as Ray Roberts (141lb) as amatuers. I remember hearing this from Willie many times when he would hold court at the Hartford Civic Centr shows. Pep was NOT easily matched at shows back then no one could beat him and no one beat him after this bout with Ray. Ray also was impossible to match up and often times gave away weight just to be able to box. If you stop and think of these to great boxers records as amatuer and pros its easy to understand why their considered the greatest boxers of all time.
                Pep is expecially noted for returning to the ring after a deadly plane crashed debilated him and he engaged in a physical therapy routine that was miraclous. Ray.

Comment

Kid Gavilan for me, pretty clear. Cream of the crop athleticism, skills, ability -- could give SRR a run for his money in speed, exquisite angles, varied punch selection, indomitable chin. He had a penchant for really showing up with his A+ game when the stakes were highest (and rather nonchalant when they weren't). He was Robinson's immediate successor to the Welter Crown which always looks good and actually had a higher quality title reign -- I'd consider Basilio, Graham, Turner, Bratton better than anyone Robinson defended the title against other than Gavilan himself. So yeah, him.

After that, it's a bit open for interpretation. Henry Armstrong is clearly the greatest name on his record and although he was past his best, was still taking on (and out) top notch opposition all the way up to their fight in 1943. Beating Jake LaMotta four times while fighting at a distinct weight disadvantage and then Stopping Him in their sixth bout for the middleweight title (and only time on even weight terms) was a signature win. Regaining the Middleweight title at Age 37 against Gene Fullmer who was nine years his junior with a ridiculous one-punch KO was one of the all-time moments in the sport, I'd think. Robinson was actually a 3-1 underdog going into this fight if I'm not mistaken. Against the smaller Basilio, that wasn't the case although that was a tremendous win itself.

Stopping Fritzie Zivic at such a young age was a noteworthy accomplishment, beating Sammy Angott at roughly 135 lbs just mere months before he gained recognition as the World Lightweight Champion arguably even better. He had Carl Olson's number (KO12, UD15, KO2, KO4) while Randy Turpin posed something of a stylistic issue for him. Regaining the crown after a three-year layoff in 1955 against Olson and stopping Turpin in the rematch in 1951 with blood coming down his face and the threat of the fight being stopped were hallmark moments.

Comment

Working...
                  X