Haye V Bruno

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haye V Bruno

Not literally.

I was reading a review of the Haye Chisora fight in the Telegraph & the reporter had this line in there.

"This British pair are distinctly second-tier, well below the likes of Lennox Lewis and Frank Bruno, but they laid on an unexpectedly credible scrap."

Now I agree that Lewis beats them all. Head & shoulders above the rest.

But Haye "well below" Bruno? Absolutely not. I love Big Frank but if anyone had a manufactured career it was him.

But, I'd be interested to hear what others think.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...pton-Park.html

I can't imagine Bruno being able to take Haye's power. Bruno was brilliant at European level but just not quite world class.

Comment

It took Tyson 5 rounds to get rid of Bruno... You talk about Haye's power, but only two people went the distance with Bruno, one of them being McCall. Bruno had a great jab and I can see him using this to great effect against Haye.

I see Haye starting out tentative whilst Bruno pumps that jab out, Haye circling around on the outside trying to counter Bruno's jab. He rocks Haye with a solid jab and throws the right behind it, Haye lays motionless as the referee calls the bout off. Fight wouldn't go past the halfway mark.

Bruno had McCall and Tyson hurt, gave Lewis a good fight, was leading against Smith and Witherspoon before the stoppage(s). Bruno, like Haye, had bad stamina problems but he's a much better boxer, better power, reach advantage coupled with a great jab is always going to give Haye problems.

Comment

before you attack bruno, everything was there...apart from his chin.

in all his world title fights apart from agaisnt tyson, he was leading on the score cards and he lost because he allowed his opponent (who he was beating) to get back in the fight with one punch.

bruno is seen as some sort of joke by many but he actually had so many great aspects to his game.

no matter how great a fighter is, if they have a glass chin then it means inferior fighters can win just with one punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman Hodgson View Post
          I can't imagine Bruno being able to take Haye's power. Bruno was brilliant at European level but just not quite world class.

He was only ever knocked out by exceptional punchers in Bonecrusher Smith, Witherspoon, Mike Tyson & Lennox Lewis.

Its not so much for me could he take Hayes power, could Haye take Brunos power?

Bruno only ever went the distance once I believe & that was against the iron chinned Oliver McCall who has one of the best chins ever.

Comment

Bruno did not have a glass or even a particularly bad chin it was mainly his stamina, even in most/all his losses he wasn't floored.

Bruno having a bad chin IMO is a big myth.
            He only lost to huge hitting heavyweights & some of the best ever at that.

He took some bombs from Tyson, McCall, Lewis etc etc & remained on his feet

Comment

Thanks for the responses, even PowerJake who pretends people are attacking Bruno rather than just stating opinions.

I don't think he had a glass jaw - but he did have terrible recuperative powers. Once he got hurt, he stayed hurt. Maybe that's the same thing. Depends on your definition.

And I stand by my comment. His career was one of brilliant match-making. He was wonderful in beating McCall but McCall was good, not great. Aside from that he never really beat a top notch opponent. Saying that, you could also say the same against Haye at Heavy. Bruno was a big, strong, honest heavyweight but his management were as good as the Klitschko's at lulling/conning/bamboozaling the opponent before the first bell had been rung.

But the reporters comment, which implies that Lewis & Bruno are top tier & Haye below that seems well off. Frank wasn't top tier, by any means. The better of he & Haye is debatable, but top tier???

Once again, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Comment

Bruno ran 40 miles a week and competed in various half marathons for charity whilst he was active as a pro boxer.

I believe Bruno is on a higher level than Haye, but one lower than Lewis.

Comment

What I wouldn't give to have Bruno fighting in this era...

Comment

even PowerJake who pretends people are attacking Bruno rather than just stating opinions.
                    steady on mate! wasn't having a go at you, just getting in there before anyone attacked bruno as that is usually what happens!

as for having a glass chin,i was being harsh there but there is no denying that when he was hit in the face he didn't respond well, maybe it was a mental thing and he would panic and throw him off his game, thus allowing his opponent (who he was dominating) a way back into the fight and to win.

Comment

Working...
                    X