Collapse
No announcement yet.

When it comes to punchers, this Kovalev dude

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is something just special about Kovalex IMO, I think Matthyse and GGG can be outbox but for some reason I don't see that happening with Kovalev, don't I want to see how he does in the next 2 fights to say more about him.

Comment

Does he really fight at too fast a pace? I don't think he wasted a lot against Cleverly. Obviously he threw a huge amount when he knew he had his man but other than that he seemed precise.

Who can he fight at light heavy with the chin or elusiveness to give him rounds?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuban Linx View Post
        Lucas has fought the better competition, but I can't confidently say that Lucas is better than those two. Imo he's not. I think Kovalev and GGG are much more complete. Have much better defense as well.
        totally agree, i wasnt trying to say lucas was the better boxer, just that he is more proven pro than the other 2,, fighting guys like soto, judah, alexander are slightly better than the comp that ggg and kovolev have fought...

and lucas has been in there with movers like judah and alexander,,,
        something ggg and kovolev have yet to experience....
        Thats why i wanna see ggg fight mora,, that should be a good test,,,

and kovolez should try and find a slick mover that can give him rounds before he goes for a ward or hopkins, imo..

Comment

Kovalev may be around for a while. To me, his biggest weakness, is he comes in with his chin up when he digs in those massive flurries. He could get caught during them, but opponents so far do not even dare to try to punch back when under that type of attack, their mode of thinking is just trying to survive that storm.

His biggest asset is not even his Power, it is his strength and punch reflexes that are amazing. That left hook seems to be on auto program as soon as his legs are in range. No Windup, no hesitation, it is like it is in perpetual motion. It does not even look he is putting his body into that shot, but it sends his opponents reeling like it had a ton of weight behind it.

Comment

I think GGG is the better boxer, as for the biggest puncher its hard to say but i think lucas comes last in the category, dont ask why, prob because he was hitting the adjose dude flush many times but he didnt go down, he broke him down.

Would anyone be interested in ward vs kovalev or Froch vs kovalev???

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
              Against who he has faced so far, he's never had to rely on his stamina.
              exactly the same thing can be said about kovalev...

I'm glad to see people notice the skill in kovalev's approach to dismantle cleverly...he didn't just demolish him, he outboxed him from the offset

the trouble with kovalev is that he attacks from up close but he's not an inside fighter...I'm curious to see how he'd fare against a fighter like ward who is very hard to hit up close

to me GGG is the more complete fighter but I've never seen kovalev having to adapt...if he's able to he's right up there

Comment

I am sold on Kovalev's talent, but not sold on him as a fighter yet.

He has to get his hands up higher. Against Cleverly, he new that he couldn't be hurt, and just went for the kill. He got hit with a few jabs, but Cleverly's jabs were pillows. Kovalev may not fight like that all of the time.

As his comp escalates, he will be forced to slow down and think.

Comment

humbleness?

rofl....?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
                    I am sold on Kovalev's talent, but not sold on him as a fighter yet.

He has to get his hands up higher. Against Cleverly, he new that he couldn't be hurt, and just went for the kill. He got hit with a few jabs, but Cleverly's jabs were pillows. Kovalev may not fight like that all of the time.

As his comp escalates, he will be forced to slow down and think.

a lot of european fighters let the front hand drift low and hang out there. they're using it to help them guage distance without allowing an opponent a static lead hand to help them time you and get the distance right.

as he finds himself with an opponent that doesn't let him dictate the pace and distance of the fight he'll have to be more responsible when they're in range.

Comment

Working...
                    X