Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lacking Punching Power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideally your trainer should be showing you how to put more into your punches. You thinking that putting more into your shots is detrimental to your technique suggests that he isn't doing that.

Hitting with all the power that you as an individual can generate is only possible through perfecting your technique. Merely trying harder creates tension and reduces your power.

Like some of the guys above have said, some people will never be devastating punchers but that should only truly be assessed once your technique is down and you're maximising what you've got.

You might find it helpful to work on pivoting and transferring your weight or 'stepping' when your punch. It all starts in your feet so work from there up. A helpful marker is that if you find yourself becoming flat-footed (as opposed to 'planting your feet') you're gonna compromise your power.

Also, keep in mind that you're learning a craft. . . .Take your time and focus on the detail.

Comment

Stay relaxed, don't worry, and follow through with what you do. This alone should help tremendous amounts.

Comment

You have to learn technique on throwing punches. When I started boxing I couldnt knock a fly out, now i am a very big puncher. I often hear people say overhand right is a worthless punch, they cant do damage with it. Its because they are not throwing it right. My overhand right could knock a horse out. its just technique.

Comment

Originally posted by ad98 View Post
          there's a good drill people in my gym use basically you take a small medicine ball and throw it at the wall like you'd pass a basket-ball
          if you don't have that resistance band or dumbbell punches are great as well
          lastly do clap push-ups or plyo push-ups to get that explosive power in the upper-body
          like most people said the technique is most important tough start with strong legs then make sure your core is good as well and make sure your shoulders and back are nice and strong
          this is great for bridging the gap between max strength and explosive strength. However max strength is a bottlenecking factor. if your weak, no matter how explosive you are, you wont be able to punch hard

Comment

I'm going to tell you something that some may disagree with me here but it's the 100% truth from my 20+ years of boxing and 10 years of training experience.

You can improve your power, with technique and getting physically stronger. So before I get attacked I want to put that out there.

BUT................

Power is something you are born with. There are some guys that hit hard, there are some who don't. Then there's everyone in between.

The thing about boxing is that flexibility is what gives you power, strength and technique but there's something else there that can't be taught, can't be learned and it's just natural power.

When I catch with the mitts, I can feel the power in some guys even if they aren't throwing hard. It's the snap at the end of the shot and the way they put their body into it. Also the use of the shoulder when relaxed and just the heavy feel of the shots that can't be explained.

Some say speed = power, but that's not always true. I have heard on many occasions that Fernando Vargas punches felt like sledge hammers and he wasn't the fastest guy. Something about his shots were just heavy, thudding punches. Some guys have that.

You can improve power but IMO and the opinion of most trainers I have run into in my life, power, speed and chin are things you are born with.

Don't let it get you down though because you don't have to have great power to be a great boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              I'm going to tell you something that some may disagree with me here but it's the 100% truth from my 20+ years of boxing and 10 years of training experience.

You can improve your power, with technique and getting physically stronger. So before I get attacked I want to put that out there.

BUT................

Power is something you are born with. There are some guys that hit hard, there are some who don't. Then there's everyone in between.

The thing about boxing is that flexibility is what gives you power, strength and technique but there's something else there that can't be taught, can't be learned and it's just natural power.

When I catch with the mitts, I can feel the power in some guys even if they aren't throwing hard. It's the snap at the end of the shot and the way they put their body into it. Also the use of the shoulder when relaxed and just the heavy feel of the shots that can't be explained.

Some say speed = power, but that's not always true. I have heard on many occasions that Fernando Vargas punches felt like sledge hammers and he wasn't the fastest guy. Something about his shots were just heavy, thudding punches. Some guys have that.

You can improve power but IMO and the opinion of most trainers I have run into in my life, power, speed and chin are things you are born with.

Don't let it get you down though because you don't have to have great power to be a great boxer.

you've very clearly got a wealth of direct experience with boxing and i agree with basically everything you've got to say in this post.

you do not teach talent
              you can bring it out, but you do not teach it. you bring it with you to whatever sport you enter.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                you've very clearly got a wealth of direct experience with boxing and i agree with basically everything you've got to say in this post.

you do not teach talent
                you can bring it out, but you do not teach it. you bring it with you to whatever sport you enter.
                Thanks and when i tell this to people they get offended but it's true. You can make someone's speed or power better but you can't "punch like Tyson" for example and I actually have heard that in my years of being a fighter and training.

Chin is something I have never seen any exercise or training method improve. It helps to be in great shape and some have argued that strengthening your neck muscles can improve that but I personally haven't seen valid proof of this. What I have seen is dudes that have hard heads and are just born that way.

You are right though about bringing that talent out. That's why IMO a good trainer brings out the strengths and hides the weaknesses of his fighters.

Comment

Speed and Power are better fixed by perfecting your punching technique. So get that down first.

Other than that, stuff like Heavy Box Squats and Deadlifts help a lot. Also lifts like Power Cleans, Snatches, Push Presses and Front Squats and Jumping variations can help too.

Power is generated from your Legs and Hips and nothing strengthens these areas of your body like those lifts.

Comment

Working...
                  X