No announcement yet.

The Most Underrated Title Reign?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BOX2008 View Post
    Mitchell title reign is very underrated come to think of it.
    I've been rapping on about Brian Mitchell and Gilberto Roman for months now, but nobody knows who Roman is, so I can't be bothered anymore..

How's about Mike O'Dowd?.. Was MW champ for 3 years with 7 defenses (mainly NC's)
    Was he a cheat or something?

Comment

I think Erik Morales had an underrated title reign. 9 defenses of his WBC title in a two and a half year span. Takes the title from Zaragoza and proceeds to defeat guys like Jones, Barrera and McCullough. All of the defenses, save Barrera I, were dominant performances as well.

Comment

Originally posted by EzzardFan View Post
        Bob Foster. Holds record for 11 KOs in LHW title fights. Ten title successful defences in 4 years with 7 KO's.
        You forgot to mention, Foster was undefeated as a LHW. Only losses were to HW'S.

Comment

Veeraphol Sahaprom! I always bring this guy up as being underrated in every way. His title reign is one of the best at BW, ever.

He didn't start boxing until nearly thirty (28 I think), won a title after just three fights off the great BW champion Daorung Chuvatana, lost it to the just as great Nana Konadu, regained it around thirty years old and went on a long undefeated title streak over nearly a decade.

He finally lost it at about 38 years old to the rising star Hozumi Hasegawa, in a very close fight that could have gone either way. He was finally beaten properly in their rematch and finally looked his age too. Sadly he is still fighting even though looking more shot than Roy Jones could ever look.

He made 14 title defenses and beat a series of very good champions and contenders. Toshiaki Nishioka, current title holder, Joichiro Tatsuyoshi, another two or three time champ, 31-0 Adan Vargas, Rolando Pascua, the guy that knocked out undefeated Humberto 'Chiquita' Gonzalez for his title, along with aforementioned two time BW Daorong Chuvatana.

Not to mention Nana Konadu in his fourth and Hasagawa in about his fiftieth. Great fighter and could have been one of the ATG's if he had started his boxing career in his early twenties.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgringo View Post
            I think Erik Morales had an underrated title reign. 9 defenses of his WBC title in a two and a half year span. Takes the title from Zaragoza and proceeds to defeat guys like Jones, Barrera and McCullough. All of the defenses, save Barrera I, were dominant performances as well.
            Morales has become underrated in general man. Everyone raves now about how everyone would beat him or that Pac of now would beat him without any trouble too. Prime for prime at 126 (even though Morales was better at 122), Morales wins every fight.

Comment

larry holmes doesnt get the respect he deserves

Comment

Originally posted by gibo View Post
                You forgot to mention, Foster was undefeated as a LHW. Only losses were to HW'S.
                Thanks - very pertinent point.

Comment

i agree with morales and holmes definitely

as soon as i read the title of the thread i though larry holmes he never got the respect he deserved yet he isn't the most likeable guy ever so maybe everything happens for a reason

Comment

i wouldn't call holmes' reign underrated. the only person people ever pick over him in a fantasy fight is ali. he's been getting his due credit for years now.

Comment

I say Larry Holmes. 7 years as HW champ. He is stuck between Ali and Tyson, the 2 supernovae of HW boxing.

Comment

Working...
                      X