• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Lowkey- View Post
    How Good Was/Is Mike Tyson?

By Frank Scoblete
    30 January 2000

This was one of the first boxing articles that I have a very clear memory of reading on the internet.Even then I realized what a steaming pile of sh^t it actually was,but the author and the name of the article always escaped my memory.

I wonder how many think Tyson isn't even among the top twenty of heavyweights greats now.

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
      This was one of the first boxing articles that I have a very clear memory of reading on the internet.Even then I realized what a steaming pile of sh^t it actually was,but the author and the name of the article always escaped my memory.

I wonder how many think Tyson isn't even among the top twenty of heavyweights greats now.
      Its easy to dismiss something as a "pile of ****" but the article is in fact true.

The article states Tyson didn't fight or beat many if any great fighters.....this is true.

the article states that Tyson persona was mainly media hype....again this is true "baddest man on the planet" people really bought into that crap.

Tell me what in the article is not true? who are these great fighters Tyson beat? instead of dismissing an article why don't you attempt to refute what the author has written?

Just for the record Frank Scoblete is a pretty well respected author not a second rate boxingscene poster like yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
        I'm always open to a healthy respectful debate and exchange of ideas, Yet this is the second time you refute nothing, and resort to ad hominem attacks.
        Okay let me break this down for you, Joe Frazier and Mike Tyson don't fight alike and watching the Frazier-Ali fights doesn't prove that Tyson is a bad style for Ali. The Tyson-Tillis fight has a much more valid implication of a potential Ali fight than the Ali-Frazier fights, and if you haven't seen it - the implication for Tyson is not a good one. It should be noted that Ali is levels above Tillis in terms head to head and Tyson and Frazier are on a more even field in general (even if they do bring different things to the table). Many would argue that Frazier was more of a threat to Ali than Tyson would be in more than one way. Firstly, Joe Frazier is widely regarded as the best heavyweight in-fighter (rightly so IMO) in history, Tyson on the other hand not so much - while he wasn't absolutely useless on the inside, he wasn't near the company of Frazier in that department. Secondly, intangibles, Tyson simply doesn't have the will and determination of Frazier, I can imagine after a spirited effort in the first 5 rounds against Ali, Tyson would be very discouraged from his inability to finish Ali. Thirdly, stamina, Tysons gas tank and work-rate doesn't compare to Joes, who always had the ability to fight at an amazing pace in the later rounds.

I can definitely imagine Tyson starting off the fight well, but I can imagine he would do that with most greats, nothing personal to Ali, nothing about Ali's specific strength and weaknesses suggest Tyson is a particularly bad stylistic match-up for him. Using the Joe Frazier fights as evidence is plain stupid, if you can counter using something more, go at it...

The first was just you being an literate, senile, bi polar ,dick rider. With the whole Peterson Khan exchange... where you made up and attacked things I hadn't even said.
        Oh wow

Okay then explain what your *****ass was implying?

On a related note, lets take a look at your fanboyish flip-flopping:
        Peterson? really?

Peterson loses to Cotto,Mayweather,Khan (rematch),Bradley, Ortiz, Berto, Marquez and Pacquiao
        he didn't even beat Khan.
        In reference to a potential Peterson-Pacquiao match-up, you imply that Peterson is not a worthy opponent for Pac.

Pacquiao's ass whopping day already happened in NOV
        Here you obviously suggest that Pacquiao got his ass whipped by Marquez...

really hope Peterson - Marquez happens ...

i'd pay PPV for that match
        Finally, you display your enthusiasm and approval of a potential Peterson-Marquez match-up, double standards much?

At this point you're no better than any other deluded fanboy in my eyes.
        It's obvious who the fanboy is here, it wouldn't be hard to dig up some more embarrassing posts of yours, I've been aware of your nationalistic bullcrap for awhile, and your typical one-line posts that you cannot back up (no response to Dans post LOL). Also I'm well aware that you have looked on my profile (my other one also) before any conflict with me. Sorry but you can't post bull**** on here and not expect to get called out.
        Last edited by RubenSonny; 01-18-2012, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Lowkey- View Post
          Its easy to dismiss something as a "pile of ****" but the article is in fact true.

The article states Tyson didn't fight or beat many if any great fighters.....this is true.

the article states that Tyson persona was mainly media hype....again this is true "baddest man on the planet" people really bought into that crap.

Tell me what in the article is not true? who are these great fighters Tyson beat? instead of dismissing an article why don't you attempt to refute what the author has written?

Just for the record Frank Scoblete is a pretty well respected author not a second rate boxingscene poster like yourself.
          I only skimmed the article but saying that Mike Tyson is outside the Top 20 ATG List at Heavyweight is pretty damn stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
            Okay let me break this down for you, Joe Frazier and Mike Tyson don't fight alike and watching the Frazier-Ali fights doesn't prove that Tyson is a bad style for Ali. The Tyson-Tillis fight has a much more valid implication of a potential Ali fight than the Ali-Frazier fights, and if you haven't seen it - the implication for Tyson is not a good one. It should be noted that Ali is levels above Tillis in terms head to head and Tyson and Frazier are on a more even field in general (even if they do bring different things to the table). Many would argue that Frazier was more of a threat to Ali than Tyson would be in more than one way. Firstly, Joe Frazier is widely regarded as the best heavyweight in-fighter (rightly so IMO) in history, Tyson on the other hand not so much - while he wasn't absolutely useless on the inside, he wasn't near the company of Frazier in that department. Secondly, intangibles, Tyson simply doesn't have the will and determination of Frazier, I can imagine after a spirited effort in the first 5 rounds against Ali, Tyson would be very discouraged from his inability to finish Ali. Thirdly, stamina, Tysons gas tank and work-rate doesn't compare to Joes, who always had the ability to fight at an amazing pace in the later rounds.

I can definitely imagine Tyson starting off the fight well, but I can imagine he would do that with most greats, nothing personal to Ali, nothing about Ali's specific strength and weaknesses suggest Tyson is a particularly bad stylistic match-up for him. Using the Joe Frazier fights as evidence is plain stupid, if you can counter using something more, go at it...

Oh wow

Okay then explain what your *****ass was implying?

On a related note, lets take a look at your fanboyish flip-flopping:

In reference to a potential Peterson-Pacquiao match-up, you imply that Peterson is not a worthy opponent for Pac.

Here you obviously suggest that Pacquiao got his ass whipped by Marquez...

Finally, you display your enthusiasm and approval of a potential Peterson-Marquez match-up, double standards much?

It's obvious who the fanboy is here, it wouldn't be hard to dig up some more embarrassing posts of yours, I've been aware of your nationalistic bullcrap for awhile, and your typical one-line posts that you cannot back up (no response to Dans post LOL). Also I'm well aware that you have looked on my profile (my other one also) before any conflict with me. Sorry but you can't post bull**** on here and not expect to get called out.
            Spot on breakdown of why it's wrong to base Tyson beating Ali off the Fraizer fights.

Couldn't have been said better.

Comment

Men I had a long long argument one time with a friend and his MMA friends on FB about freaking Tyson, Love the guy but cannot be placed in the same sentence as Ali and damn I need to see this ESPN debate so I can LMAO.

Comment

What a bunch of obnoxious morons.

Who's Tony Bruno?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  Spot on breakdown of why it's wrong to base Tyson beating Ali off the Fraizer fights.

Couldn't have been said better.
                  Thanks, just thinking about it, Ali would probably have the easiest time against Tyson after Liston and Foreman.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
                    Thanks, just thinking about it, Ali would probably have the easiest time against Tyson after Liston and Foreman.
                    Quite possibly.

I think that version of Liston loses 10/10 against the 60's Ali. And I even think a prime Liston is near that. His jabs just never going to work against Ali.

I think Tyson has somewhat of a chance against a 70's Ali. Albeit a very slim one.

So based on style I'd personally say Tyson doesn't have the worst chance. But always a slim one none the less.

Comment

I've never, ever thought that Tyson could beat Ali.

Comment

Working...
                      X