Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ten boxers that have disappointed me most in modern times...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ten boxers that have disappointed me most in modern times...

... no particular order.

Andre Chinto

I was a big Chinto fan when he was on the way up, I thought "sky's the limit for this fat ****ing Yank." But he seemed to hit a ceiling surprisingly early, a point where it was "that's it, no more progression". He was a guy who looked slick and then... nothing.

From there it was just a small step to failing drugs tests, getting his eyes made into two arseholes and getting out-gutted by Victor "I'm a boxer, I'm not supposed to be getting hit by punches" Ortiz.

David Haye

I argued with my Classic brethren over Haye's chances against Wladski, being called a homer for giving Haye a 34% chance of victory. In a way he lived up to my take on the fight by going the distance.... in another way he made me look a **** by refusing to go out on his shield, and then embarrassingly going straight into talk of his toe. You wanna talk about your toe, David, make sure it's asking me to give you a toe job (no ****), not making excuses and making yourself look a total ****.

You know what really let him down though? Thinking he was capable of competing with Wladski....................... with an extra long beard. FFS David, the guy's got a Roman nose and chiselled cheekbones, what the FUCK were you thinking? Thankfully his fight against The Chisel and his reality show experience have seen him rise back up the P4P dish rankings.

Comment

Joan Guzman

I used to love Joan at one stage... I was a Guzfan, you might say. But even despite all the weight issues, this is a guy who has successfully made a career "hiding between the cracks". The guy's negotiated a way up through the divisions fighting the point of least possible resistance so often I'd swear he was Welsh.

This guy had all the potential in the world... but was content to piss up a rope. **** you, Joan.
      Last edited by ; 11-25-2012, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Junior Witter

If I post in NSB, I get the obligatory "ur a brit, u fink hatun is beta than ray robensun" stuff. But I don't take pride in UK fighters, I consider myself a citizen of the world. Yet.... I do take shame in 'em.

Win, lose, I don't care. But make a **** of yourself and part of me does feel a mild patriotric sense of shame. There's no shame in losing a fight. But there's shame in going "eh up, me elbow's reet 'urtin'... pull us out of fight, I quit, pet."

FFS. I've never laced 'em up, but this is my favourite (favorite, Fat Yanks) fighter in action:

Comment

Arthur Abraham

One of the weirdest NSB experiences I had was being called a "homer" for predicting Abraham would beat Miranda in the rematch. (Miranda being such a dumb **** he couldn't even beat Abraham with his jaw hanging off, of course). It was bizarre to me that someone would think I identity with an Armenian fighting out of Germany because we're both "euros". Never got that at all. England and Germany didn't really get on so well, esp. in the 40s.

Anyway, Abraham was the hard-punching middleweight who had such enormous, outrageous heart he'd fight seven rounds with his jaw hanging on his balls.

Fast forward a few years and he's the guy who takes cheap shots, constantly pretends to be hit in the nuts, and is so out of his depth at SMW he makes Carl Froch look like Sugar Ray Leonard. Arthur, where did it all go wrong?

Five more later, I need to think...

Comment

It has got to be Panchito Bojado, dude was so hyped and you could tell he had the skills to be elite, but he just didn't have it in him, or didn't love the sport.

Comment

Arcelino Freitas. I hate that guy. His post-fight victory cries with his wife always made me want to see him get TKO's into a coma. It was like every fight on showtime, the camera was focused on to his wife's concerned expression even though he was pummeling the other opponent.

That is until he ran into the warrior Chico Corrales and had his soul taken. The Juan Diaz stoppage loss was just icing on cake.

Ooops, I mistook this thread for fighters we all can't stand, not including mainstreams like Mayweather.

Comment

andre chinto!

i almost looked him up. i swear to god. until i read the ortiz bit i thought he was some limey from before my time.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
                  Joan Guzman

I used to love Joan at one stage... I was a Guzfan, you might say. But even despite all the weight issues, this is a guy who has successfully made a career "hiding between the cracks". The guy's negotiated a way up through the divisions fighting the point of least possible resistance so often I'd swear he was Welsh.

This guy had all the potential in the world... but was content to piss up a rope. **** you, Joan.
                  oh yeah... great post...

Comment

Amir Khan.

Not because he has lost two fights in a row, but because he can find an excuse for almost anything.

If Khan failed to open a jar of Mayonnaise he's find an excuse for it. "We never worked on Hellmans with Roach, he always used the kid friendly squeezy bottles on offer at Bolton poundland."

Comment

Working...
                    X