Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto: A Place on The Island

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow this article was great. It really got to me.
    Cotto got me into boxing. It was unlikely, Im white and from Ireland but there was something about the Puerto Rican that drew me in. I watched all his fights on youtube and then seen the loss and watched the Margarito fight. The first five rounds I was like "they must of ripped him off or something", then it happened. I couldn't believe it at the time. The guy I had saw walk thru people was having the same done to him. That was when a weird thing happened, i didnt stop supporting Cotto which I usually would, I don't know why but I can't stand loses. Anyway I hope he wins! I havee never found a fighter I've enjoyed watching more than Cotto.

A suggestion, I recently watched Cotto-Bailey, If you watch that fight you know why Cotto was such a highly touted up and comer, that was a picture perfect performance.

Comment

Originally posted by MARKBNLV View Post
      I think he is a better fighter then Trinidad was i always felt that guy was highly overrated.
      I know it sounds like blasphemy to some, but I'd have to agree w/ you... Reid was damaged goods with only one eye, and Joppy was a punching bag. He really lost to Oscar, Bernard beat him up, and Winky shut him out. The Vargas fight stands as his one great signature win, aside from the fact that Fernando was only 23 at the time. I think some confuse his warrior persona with his actual ring accomplishments.

Comment

Originally posted by MARKBNLV View Post
        I think he is a better fighter then Trinidad was i always felt that guy was highly overrated.
        I agree. However, Tito was extraordinary yet one dimensional and that was his obvious explosive power and that goes a long way in boxing. But to deem him overated is flawed. Both will be first time ballot inductee w/o a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyper Knuckles View Post
          Cotto needs one signature win. Canelo poses that opportunity.
          I disagree. A win over a fighter with a proven bona fide track record of championship caliber bouts under his belt is a prerequisite to be classified as “signature” in my humble opinion. The only available fighter who fits the criteria to a certain extent is Sergio.

A win over Canelo would be huge but would be dismissed by his fan base as Canelo never really being prepped properly while rising through the ranks since he has not really fought anybody of substance. Conversely, if Canelo beats Cotto, it’s just another classic bout of a young lion taking out an old champ on the decline.

After he destroys Trout, he will move up to 160! I believe that Cotto probably doesn’t have too much respect for the manner in which Canelo has achieved his position. Both he and Marvilla have echoed the same sentiment about earning the right to fight them for their respective belts. Cotto has credited Trout with his right and one could only assume that he would not have the opinion same about Canelo.

Comment

About Trinidad being overrated, I don't think he is and I'll say why. Trinidad is never praised as having the phenomenal skills of someone like Roy Jones Jr., Ray Leonard, or prime Pernell Whitaker. I recognize that even Camacho and De La Hoya were more skilled than him. However, Trinidad went a long way, not only with power and good skill, but because he had the intangibles. Trinidad had a lot of heart inside the ring and his sense of nationalism, in a good way, was so strong that whenever he stepped in that ring he was not only fighting for himself but for Puerto Rico. He was representing us and refused to let us down.

Sure, he had devastating power, but I think it was that pride and confidence that allowed him to realize his potential and achieve so much. His resume is pretty sold also.

Comment

Well now Cotto is sort of on his own people's S H I T list cause Saturdays fight is on regular "showtime" all over the u.s & other country's & in some country's like Mexico & El Salvador among others is on regular channels(in other words it's free) but in Puerto Rico(where he's from) it's on PPV!!!($49.99 to be exact!)

Comment

Originally posted by Tomasio View Post
                Well now Cotto is sort of on his own people's S H I T list cause Saturdays fight is on regular "showtime" all over the u.s & other country's & in some country's like Mexico & El Salvador among others is on regular channels(in other words it's free) but in Puerto Rico(where he's from) it's on PPV!!!($49.99 to be exact!)
                I understand everyone is trying to save money cause I am too, but why not just buy it? I'm from the island but I live in the US now. My sister, mom, grandma, dad, cousins, nephews, nieces, everyone lives in PR still. One thing that I'm sick of and my family does it too, is government handouts. People over there have the wrong mentality. In order to move ahead don't wait for the government to give you stuff, go out and get it yourself. How many free fights have people gotten from the champ? Now he's charging for one and he's on people's **** list? Get a few people together, pay for it and support our fellow boxers!

BTW Nothing personal towards you.
                Last edited by SnakeVen0m; 11-29-2012, 11:31 AM.

Comment

To infer that Cotto's best days are behind him is a questionable statement considering how well he performed against Floyd. He is a great fighter though, and the article pays tribute to him quite nicely.

Originally posted by adamdoyle View Post
                  Wow this article was great. It really got to me.
                  Cotto got me into boxing. It was unlikely, Im white and from Ireland but there was something about the Puerto Rican that drew me in. I watched all his fights on youtube and then seen the loss and watched the Margarito fight. The first five rounds I was like "they must of ripped him off or something", then it happened. I couldn't believe it at the time. The guy I had saw walk thru people was having the same done to him. That was when a weird thing happened, i didnt stop supporting Cotto which I usually would, I don't know why but I can't stand loses. Anyway I hope he wins! I havee never found a fighter I've enjoyed watching more than Cotto.

A suggestion, I recently watched Cotto-Bailey, If you watch that fight you know why Cotto was such a highly touted up and comer, that was a picture perfect performance.
                  Enjoyed reading this post. Thanks.

Comment

There will never be another Miguel Cotto for me. Earned his place among the best the island has ever produced and still going to do more. I think he may have already a signature victory, but when he beats Canelo, he'll definitely have it.

Comment

Cotto's never shown the artistry of a Benitez or Ortiz? GTFO of here! He's capable of boxing beautifully when he so chooses.

Comment

Working...
                      X