No announcement yet.

The History and Science Behind the Boxing Stance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The History and Science Behind the Boxing Stance

Can anyone give me background behind why the Fathers of Boxing decided that the dominant hand should be in the back and the weaker hand at front?

I'm a left hander, and it feels ******ed to try fighting from the orthodox stance.

What are the benefits of being in the "wrong" stance that would make people stay that way?

I can only guess that it's because you can get more leverage into your rear hand, thereby maximizing your most effective shots. Then, when God created the left hook, **** really got going.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
      Can anyone give me background behind why the Fathers of Boxing decided that the dominant hand should be in the back and the weaker hand at front?

I'm a left hander, and it feels ******ed to try fighting from the orthodox stance.

What are the benefits of being in the "wrong" stance that would make people stay that way?
      its a smaller lighter hand that you dont use as much through out the day so naturaly its going to be faster and have more stamina.

also you want your stronger hand to be your main blocking hand so you have a studier block.

and theres that you get more leverage in your rear hand.

Comment

Thats an interesting question. I am right handed but after awile my jab was better with my left hand then my right. And I practiced both ways. Bare knuckle boxing may have something to do with why orthodox boxing became more standared. Not being able to keep a guard up with boxing gloves they may have prefered to deflect punches with the left hand and have their good hand ready to punch but that could be wrong. I don't know much about how they fought back in the bare knuckle days.

Comment

I think people would be too one-handed if they were to box. 99% of boxers are more busy with their lead hand, and when they started boxing, their stronger hand was most likely the hand they'd hold back. Putting your weaker hand in front kind of trains it and makes you feel a bit more comfortable with it. I'm a right hander, but I have transformed to where my left hand is stronger and more comfortable. It's seriously the most frustrating thing to get a beginner to do.

Comment

Working...
          X