No announcement yet.

Thurman and Porter are both solid fighters but both are lacking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
    Thurman is a solid counter puncher but can not fight on the inside andgets pushed back easily and and does not really have a great jab. He has solid power but does not have the great timing to make it as effective as it can be.

Porter can not fight going backwards at all and has no jab worth mentioning, He leaps in wide open and off balance. Porter is aggressive ,but once he gets in he either smothers his work of just wastes energy wrestling his opponent.

Both are solid fighters and if they fix certain things may have the chance to prove they are elite top fighters. Neither are as good as they think they are and both are very, very limited. But fighters like these have to fight each other to learn and improve
    I wouldn't say cuz a guy gets backed up by shawn porter...it means he get pushed back easily. You wouldn't get off the ropes once in the short amount of time you could last with porter.

Comment

Larry say what you want but both these dudes mop the floor with manny pacquiao, according to malignaggi porter has more skills than pacquiao.

Comment

Neither has separated themselves from the other best welterweights, Brook,Spence and Bradley.If they fought any of those 3 boxers they wouldn't be favored by much in the betting odds. They might even be the underdog.Thurman was badly hurt to the body by both Collazo and Porter. Imagine Spence doing his excellent job of pounding Thurman's body. They are among the best but they may not be the best in the deep tough welterweight division.

Comment

With Porter you see what you get. I think he could have won last night if he gave himself an inch or two more room. Same as when he fought Brook. It is not a hard fix. I really hope he works on that, but it may be too late.

As for Thurman he has great tools. Good power, timing and fairly solid defense. I feel like he also left something out last night. I think he had Shawn vulnerable a couple times and he could have stepped on the gas, but didn't.

As for where they go from here. I think Thurman can continue to rise and Porter has peaked

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
            Larry say what you want but both these dudes mop the floor with manny pacquiao, according to malignaggi porter has more skills than pacquiao.
            You never miss a chance to trash Pacquiao but he is a lock for the hall of fame regardless of your poor opinion of him. Everybody who follows boxing much knows Paulie has an insane hate and jealousy of Pacquiao. He would probably say Mickey Mouse has more skills than Pacquiao. Since Pacquiao has never fought either Porter or Thurman you have no idea how a fight between them and Pacquiao would go. You are just guessing. When it comes to Pacquiao you are blinded by hate. You predicted Rios would knock Pacquiao out with a left jab. WRONG. You also predicted Bradley would knock Pacquiao out. WRONG AGAIN.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
              Thurman is a solid counter puncher but can not fight on the inside and gets pushed back easily and and does not really have a great jab. He has solid power but does not have the great timing to make it as effective as it can be.

Porter can not fight going backwards at all and has no jab worth mentioning, He leaps in wide open and off balance. Porter is aggressive ,but once he gets in he either smothers his work of just wastes energy wrestling his opponent.

Both are solid fighters and if they fix certain things may have the chance to prove they are elite top fighters. Neither are as good as they think they are and both are very, very limited. But fighters like these have to fight each other to learn and improve
              In all honesty, everyone gets pushed back by porter. He's a pitbull.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                You never miss a chance to trash Pacquiao but he is a lock for the hall of fame regardless of your poor opinion of him. Everybody who follows boxing much knows Paulie has an insane hate and jealousy of Pacquiao. He would probably say Mickey Mouse has more skills than Pacquiao. Since Pacquiao has never fought either Porter or Thurman you have no idea how a fight between them and Pacquiao would go. You are just guessing. When it comes to Pacquiao you are blinded by hate. You predicted Rios would knock Pacquiao out with a left jab. WRONG. You also predicted Bradley would knock Pacquiao out. WRONG AGAIN.
                I also predicted marquez would ko pac.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                  If you're landing 47% of your power shots a fight, your timing is fantastic.
                  Now that's logic!

Comment

Yeah Larry i think your being a little harsh here. They put on a fun fight. Just because one didnt dominate the other for 12 rounds like Floyd or KO the other in a couple rounds like prime Manny doesnt mean they arent elite.

Brook and Bradley are the only 2 besides these guys who have an arguement for #1 welterweight behind Manny/Floyd(never know when these 2 will retire.)

Both fought an amazing fight. Both made adjustments and thats why they kept going back and forth all night. I do agree Porter gets way to wild. He did remind me of Smokin Joe saturday tho. He stayed in Thurmans grill, ate his best shots and kept landing hard shots of his own. His body work was amazing. He definitely had a jab too. He used it well too keep and close distance with Thurman when they werent exchanging massive hooks.

Thurman also looked great. He didnt fold to the pressure. Porter was all over him so i dont think you can fault him too much. He landed some vicious shots that would have put alot of others away. Porter is just tough as hell.

This was the perfect example of what a championship caliber fight should look like. 2 top 5 guys leaving it all in the ring. It was ****ing sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                      Thurman's biggest weakness is he fights like a guy with KO power.

Porter's weakness is that he is just too basic and simple.

Both put on a good fight but neither is special.

The last messiah for American welterweights is Spence but I don't see him staying at 147 for long and he gets beat up at 154. Mark my words.

Americans should really be getting behind their only ace, Timothy Bradley.
                      You're right, I wouldn't bet my house on Spence jr.

Outgunning Algieri was irrelevant, Algieri was a quite worn out fighter.

Thurman would counter the sht out of Spence IMO.

Spence is not really a boxer, he looks more like a fighter relaying on his souhtpaws stance just like Pacquiao was at lower weight a decade ago,
                      but I doubt Spence has a once of the hearth, strenght, speed and chin Manny had.

We'll see, maybe Spence will have a decent career, but HOF I don't know, let alone being the "new Mayweather".

He has Nothing to make us think he's the new Mayweather except his nationality and colour lol, if someone might be the next Mayweather (overskilled unmatchable fighter) I would think more about Lomachenko.

And yes, Loma lost a fight, but it was his second fight, out of 20 fights, Spence never fought a guy as dangerous and experienced as Salido.

Comment

Working...
                      X